Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Register Now

XenForo 2 hosting

Discussion in 'Dedicated server hosting' started by GamerJota, Feb 20, 2018.

1. GamerJota

GamerJota Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Chile
    Ratings:
    +18
    Local Time:
    11:51 PM
    Hello!

What hosting solution would you guys recommend for a centminmod XenForo 2 installation with the Media and Resources plugin?

Site would be focused in uploading your own videos in the Media section, also files in the Resources section, so it would require a lot of storage space in a long term.

Expecting an average of 5,000 users the first months, and then it would probably get up to 100,000 and beyond.

Currently I use AWS for all my stuff running under centminmod, but all of those are mostly shared and low traffic sites.

I believe that it would be too much of a price overkill to run this on AWS.

What do you suggest? OVH? Linode? And why?

Cheers!

2. Jimmy

Jimmy Premium Member Premium Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +705
    Local Time:
    10:51 PM
    1.13.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    Why don't you just start on AWS and move when the site grows. If you end of needing a large amount of storage space you're probably going to have to come back to AWS for storage anyway no matter where you are at. There are services which offer extra storage when you purchase a server (OVH) but I believe AWS has some of the best prices for storage (I could be wrong).

Pay for what you need and grow when you need to grow.

Focus on long term storage because popular media sites can get quite large fast. And what about backing up all those media files? Being at a place which can handle any possible storage need, would be best.

I once looked into a site which had videos uploaded and ended up ditching the idea when I looked at the graph of the storage space I'd need to store all the videos over time. Ended up going the YouTube route because I don't have to host a single video.

I had a gaming site once. Just the video game files were 100GB. That was only about 30,000 games.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Itworx4me

Itworx4me Premium Member Premium Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +11
    Local Time:
    7:51 PM
    Nginx 1.13.X
    MariaDB 10.1.X
    Hivelocity: Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud & Colocation

4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,188
    Local Time:
    12:51 PM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Start small and move as you grow. But ... and a real but is most forum software including Xenforo weren't intended to be a Youtube like video hosting platform so you will probably reach some limitations of any respective forum software if you are trying to use it as a video hosting platform. It's better to leverage 3rd parties like Vimeo and Youtube.

5. rdan

rdan Premium Member Premium Member

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    Local Time:
    10:51 AM
    Mainline
    Overprice it is.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. GamerJota

GamerJota Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Chile
    Ratings:
    +18
    Local Time:
    Have you found any case where having thousands of video media uploaded in the Media plugin has caused extreme slowdowns or other issues? I've been searching without results.

7. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,188
    Local Time:
    12:51 PM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Not on Xenforo as I don't even entertain the idea of using Xenforo as video hosting platform as the sheer amount of additional costly server hardware/resources needed to make it scale as it grows will be expensive ! If you can't afford 1000s or 10000s of dollars per month at scale, then I wouldn't even look at that path.

And as @Jimmy touched on, what about the backup of that large data set too... that's at least 2x times the cost = 1 for original server + 1 for backup server.

Say if you're lucky to grow the video hosting forums, can you imagine the cost of saying service 100GB/day new videos uploaded and 40TB/day traffic = 3TB per month of new disk space required and 1,200 TB per month in bandwidth. Look into your wallet and see if you have the change :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. GamerJota

GamerJota Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Chile
    Ratings:
    +18
    Local Time:
    Imagine I've seen this in Drupal, but not that big yet, still big though. The performance sucks, slow page loads and sometimes stuff gets bugged.
    The idea is to have the forum, resources and media all in one. Trying to avoid having multiple softwares.

What about purchasing the hardware and going for housing on a Tier III+ datacenter?

Sounds like cheaper than going into the cloud, I believe the initial investment would pay off in a long term for something like this.

Still not sure, also I posted the question at XenForo pre-sales questions: Media Gallery limits