Want more timely Centmin Mod News Updates?
Become a Member

WP Rocket vs other caching methods

Discussion in 'Blogs & CMS usage' started by Mrbo, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Mrbo

Mrbo Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Ratings:
    +7
    Local Time:
    1:05 AM
    Hi, I´ve always used WP Rocket for caching, but do you recommend any other caching method with this server setup and if so why?

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Premium Member Premium Member

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +264
    Local Time:
    12:05 PM
    WP Super Cache. It is developed by the creators of Wordpress. No brainer to me.

3. Mrbo

Mrbo Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Ratings:
    +7
    Local Time:
  4. BamaStangGuy

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +264
    Local Time:
    Because it is free and works flawlessly and isn't promoted on every blog reviewing it with an affiliate link.

5. Mrbo

Mrbo Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Ratings:
    +7
    Local Time:
    But what about the actual results?

6. BamaStangGuy

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +264
    Local Time:
    The difference isn't worth $40 for me and the chance that a year from now I have to go back to another plugin if this one disappears. Just my view on it.

7. Mrbo

Mrbo Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Ratings:
    +7
    Local Time:
    Ok I see. thanks for that clarification ;)

8. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,079
    Local Time:
    4:05 AM
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    In context of Wordpress caching for centmin.sh menu option 22 wordpress auto installer for Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 and newer, you have 3 offered wordpress caching options:
    1. Redis Nginx Level Caching - centmin.sh menu option 22 will auto install redis if not detected if you choose this in centmin.sh menu option 22 setup. Otherwise, need to install redis yourself.
    2. KeyCDN Cache Enabler for full page static html caching (safest choice for balance of performance and reliability) but best combined with Autoptimize WP plugin
    3. WP Super Cache for full page static html caching but best combined with Autoptimize WP plugin
    1. redis caching at nginx level can be fastest but needs fine tuning and deep understanding of your web app and it's plugins to get right i.e. woocommerce etc. So can be problematic too. Most caching is are for guest caching only.

2. keycdn cache enabler wp plugin - better version of wp super cache for full page static caching of wordpress. Least problematic and closest to set and forget with maybe some tuning needed depending on wp plugins and site configuration. Config is for guest caching only.

And regardless of caching method, having right server(s) hardware and configuration and LEMP stack and system TCP level configurations to handle the traffic is a must otherwise regardless of caching used, it won't scale. So you would want non-OpenVZ based VPS like KVM or dedicated. Choosing OpenVZ VPS will limit your scalability.

FYI, all caching methods = generally higher memory consumption and sometimes higher cache related cpu consumption. The goal of caching in context of wordpress is usually to lessen the load placed on php/php-fpm as that is the weakest part of any LEMP/LAMP setup in terms of scalability. So sometimes caching isn't necessary faster just scales better in high concurrent traffic environments.

You can see centmin.sh menu option 22 wordpress installed demo and benchmarks on my Wordpress7 demo site.

Alot of factors come into play when benchmarking and doing comparison results - and like @BamaStangGuy stated alot of the results in favour of WP Rocket also serve up paid affiliate links to WP Rocket. Though that could also be because WP Rocket for them was the best regardless - similar to what I'd do with VPS/web host affiliate links I share - I only do that for web hosts I use and deem worthy of recommendation due to performance etc.

9. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,079
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    FYI, alot of wordpress sites like to use pingdom page speed testing tool but it's not that accurate at all. For one thing it emulates Chrome 39 browser which doesn't support HTTP/2 HTTPS !

You should only use webpagetest.org and it's included google lighthouse tool for page speed testing. As it uses and allows you to test a variety of web browsers and mobile device browser and speed profiles. See my how to at WebPerf - PageSpeed - How to use webpagetest.org for page load speed testing

10. Daniel J. Lewis

Daniel J. Lewis Award-winning podcaster and consultant

Oct 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +33
    Local Time:
    1:05 PM
    I've gone from W3 Total Cache to WP Super Cache to now WP Rocket. What convinced me to move to WP Rocket was the idea of customer support (which is almost always better with paid software because they can afford to fix problems), and I think something about WP Rocket was going to work much better for caching bbPress for logged in users.

It's a tiny bit disappointing that when setting up a new site in Centminmod that I have to go back into the Nginx conf file to adapt things for WP Rocket (there's a rocket-nginx thing to include and change some things over from whatever caching option you chose through option 22), but it's a one-time change.

Paying for a caching plugin gives me more hope that it will be well-supported, bugs will be squashed faster, my questions will be answered better, and the developers will stay on top of maintaining it.

Is it the absolute fastest for my sites? I don't really know anymore because I'd rather spend my time making content than trying to figure out my caching plugin. :)

11. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,079
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
  12. Daniel J. Lewis

Daniel J. Lewis Award-winning podcaster and consultant

Oct 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +33
    Local Time:
    1:05 PM
    I looked at Cache Enabler and it doesn't have enough options for me, like caching for logged in users.

13. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,079
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x