Join the community today
Become a Member

Which Reverse Proxy Server To Use For 20-30kB Static Files

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Performance' started by alnidemix, Dec 20, 2017.

1. alnidemix

alnidemix New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    3:16 PM
    Looking at the H2O vs OpenLiteSpeed vs NginX benchmarks posted somewhere here in this Forum and a few comments/issues on H2O's GitHub repo by user @centminmod... I'm kinda torn between choosing H2O or OpenLiteSpeed as a reverse proxy which I'll use to also serve 20-30kB sized static files. A little insightful and technical advice would help.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,634
    Local Time:
    1:16 AM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    What are you currently using ? I'd go with Nginx and in future Nginx Unit application server which has upcoming node.js support About — NGINX Unit which I want to eventually integrate Nginx Unit into Centmin Mod too Nginx - nginx's UNIT

So until Nginx Unit is ready, use Nginx for reverse proxy. Though Nginx Unit can sit behind a Nginx reverse proxy too Integration with NGINX — NGINX Unit

3. alnidemix

alnidemix New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    I'm now deciding on which to use, so I'm using nothing at the moment, just NodeJS file serving code (testing purposes only).
    But your benchmarks shows that NginX performs terrible when compared to H2O and OpenLiteSpeed... am I wrong?

4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,634
    Local Time:
    1:16 AM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    which benchmarks ? all benchmarks i have done show nginx was best none have shown h2o or openlitespeed beating nginx all the time. Maybe you misread the benchmarks ?

edit: or you mean SSL - HTTP/2 - h2o vs OpenLiteSpeed vs Nginx SPDY/3.1 ? diff between h2o and nginx isn't much at all if you go by numbers of page load speed and that was with nginx and deprecated spdy/3.1 and not nginx's current http/2 implementation. I'd suggest Nginx as it's more stable and well known as well as future Nginx Unit support makes transition easier.

But best to test all web server's reverse proxy implementations yourself for your own usage cases and decide as it also depends on how each are respectively configured.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  5. alnidemix

alnidemix New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    Yes, that was the benchmark I was talking about... I get ur point much clearly now... and yeah I indeed misread the benchmarks