Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Register Now

What's the MySQL / MariaDB magic?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by noly, Jul 25, 2017.

1. noly

noly Premium Member Premium Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Ratings:
    +20
    Local Time:
    9:47 AM
    1.13.x
    10.x
    You might have read it hundreds and thousands of time but let me start my opening with a big BIG Thank you for all the effort and enthusiasm you bring into this project. You really make the web a better place. So even though i am a absolute virgin here and actually i just described a few hours ago - in the name of the community and the amountless serveradmins who wouldn't be able to run such an well thought thru architecture without your help...i would like to say THANK YOU!

I am in a very awkward situation where i have to set up a secure and reliable server within a very short time. That made me spend a lot of time typing on my keyboard and trying different solutions.

The very first candidate was a PPA for nginx and google ps (GitHub - serveradminsh/installers) which looked promising but turned out to be...well....let's stop the sentence here.

Digging a bit into ansible confirmed my plan to not use a automated system and risking the possibility to not be able to dive in and fix things if necessary.

So i moved on and got to meet a solution describing itself as being perfect (perfectrootserver.de). And yes, the concept is quite respectable...but the very limited docs and active community just didn't feel good having in mind that one might need a helping hand one day.

So i took my luggage and surfed (literraly) the night away. Tired and about to lay my head Google said..."hey wait, look at this..".
    That was 18 hours ago when i first met CENTMIN MOD and showed my appreciation by reading your articles, tutorials and the forum....concentrated and interested.

And it paid out! I was able to set up an environment, launched a site and got rewarded from Googles Pagespeed test with 98/100.
    Not bad for my first date with CENTOMIN MOD.
    Proof: CENTMIN MOD - PS.png

But then things started to turn around in a frustrating direction. Why? Well...not sure, either because i really should go to bed or i am just not understanding it.

In your tuts you talk about and offer MariaDB/MySQL-mixed snippets. Menu number 11 offers MariaDB-delicatessen but the SSH installation messages seem to not really like this combination and therefor i get warnings and errors making me dizzy.

"Failed to start mysql.service: Unit not found.""

"382 packages excluded due to repository priority protections"

"Removing mariadb-libs.x86_64 1:5.5.52-1.el7 - u due to obsoletes from installed MariaDB-shared-10.0.31-1.el7.centos.x86_64"

and many more...

Obviously there seems to be a MySql dependency and even after reading your tuts and external tuts (https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-installation-version-10121-via-rpms-on-centos-7/)...i just can't help myself.

This circumstance brings up the (HY000/2002)-issue: pma.png ...and puts me in a situation where i am asking in the kindest way possible....please George, tell me the magic.

How did or do you get MariaDB running?

• Like Like x 1
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    Local Time:
    5:47 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    welcome @noly to Centmin Mod Community. MariaDB MySQL server is installed by default so no need to do anything at all to install it. You DO NOT need to run anything in centmin.sh menu option 11. Which centmin.sh menu option 11 submenu options did you run ?

The term MariaDB and MySQL can be used interchangeable as they are the same thing. For MariaDB MySQL issues you can in future post them here Nginx, PHP-FPM & MariaDB MySQL ;)

My suggestion now, is just reload the CentOS OS again, reinstall centmin mod 123.09beta01 fresh and start from there without running centmin.sh menu option 11.

There's 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod ;)

You might want to try the 123.09beta01 build as it will be next stable release and well has alot of improvements if you check 2nd post change log at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing. And you can share your initial install times here.

If you use Putty SSH client, for best Centmin Mod experience set your windows setting configuration to at least 160 columns, 70 rows and 256000 scrollback buffer size.

Threads you might want to participate in ;)

Threads & Info To Bookmark

Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:

Centmin Mod Insights Forum

The Centmin Mod Insights forums digs deeper into the inner workings of Centmin Mod so some useful threads in this forum include:

Premium Membership

Centmin Mod Donations

You now can show your love and support for Centmin Mod via

3. noly

Jul 24, 2017
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Ratings:
    +20
    Local Time:
    1.13.x
    10.x
    Hi @eva2000 ,

merci beaucoup for the life jacket. It felt indeed a bit like lost in the sea yesterday.
    I am starting fresh, motivated and with a clean Cent OS into the day. Your guiding messsage is pinned on my screen.
    Let's do this! :)

I will report back.

Sincerely
    Noly

• Like Like x 1
  4. noly

Jul 24, 2017
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Ratings:
    +20
    Local Time:
    1.13.x
    10.x
    edit: centminmod should have so many more stars and collaborator on github...the current 227 definitely don't reflect the outstanding possibilities. But i guess since .09 is in beta for yeeears, that could hold people back from even trying it out when passing by. What is holding it back from being stable? I read recently that it's "just" the documentation. Is that right? Can/should we use centmin now for production use?

5. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    Local Time:
    5:47 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    yeah documentation is holding back 123.09beta01 from going stable right now so code wise it's good for production as i use 123.09beta01 on 160+ servers including this forum

• Like Like x 1