Discover Centmin Mod today
Register Now

Wants to use centimMod with mysql for xenforo

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Altair, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Altair

Altair Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Ratings:
    +3
    Local Time:
    1:54 PM
    Hello, A new member, I'd like to use CentimMod for my upcoming xenforo project, however I'm wondering if I can install mysql instead of Maria Db, as I'm not used to maria db.

• Like Like x 1
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,928
    Local Time:
    8:54 PM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    welcome @Altair to Centmin Mod Community. Right now it's MariaDB only but it's almost same as MySQL so should be fine - just test on a test VPS and see if it's for you. See MariaDB - MariaDB MySQL vs Oracle MySQL vs Percona MySQL

There's 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod ;)

You might want to try the 123.09beta01 build as it will be next stable release and well has alot of improvements if you check 2nd post change log at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing. And you can share your initial install times here.

If you use Putty SSH client, for best Centmin Mod experience set your windows setting configuration to at least 160 columns, 70 rows and 256000 scrollback buffer size.

Threads you might want to participate in ;)

Threads & Info To Bookmark

Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:

Centmin Mod Insights Forum

The Centmin Mod Insights forums digs deeper into the inner workings of Centmin Mod so some useful threads in this forum include:

Security Related Developments

A few security related developments you might be interested reading about

Premium Membership

Centmin Mod Donations

You now can show your love and support for Centmin Mod via

• Like Like x 1
  3. Altair

Altair Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Ratings:
    +3
    Local Time:
    Dear @eva2000 , I really appreciate your hard work, however I designed and developed my xenforo + wordpress + woocommerce project on localhost, with a lot of addons and custom coded addons, it took me 2 years to organize it right, and make all the design aspects of it as it's a big project, and prefill it with content, it's an ecommerce related.

So the issue here, is that I have a large backup of a mysql database, would it import cleanly into maria db? That's my question.

Added to that I'll be using a linode server.

I know I can test on vmware installation of Centos, however just asking before I delve deeper into this.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  4. Colin

Colin Premium Member Premium Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Sheffield UK
    Ratings:
    +97
    Local Time:
    11:54 AM
    1.11.#
    MariaDB 10.1.#
    @Altair There are of course a hundred possible reasons it would not work in mariab, but many more why it would. Depends if you have some specific mysql version #.# combinations/syntax specific queries and whatever else we can magically do in code/db layers.

I'd run up a centos7 VM. Run centminmod as it is, restore your dump and then connect localhost to your vm's ip:3306. I don't know if you have automated tests/seleinum etc, run your tests and see. TBH I'd run up a remote DO/linode droplet, it's so much faster than local with updates and fetching ;)

From my use, I've gone from mysql through percona to maria without any issues for an invision board which only supports 'mysql'. For everything else I'm afraid I go to postgresql ( rails/elixir dev )

One final thought. If you're launching, do you want the added time of sys admin? Centminmod saved me a lot of time, I threw away weeks of scripts(ansbile puppet) and it removes a lot of the setup and daily/weekly patching updates. It does not remove it all, for those projects I push the apps out to the cloud paas (heroku, amazon), but in turn pay for it. Just a thought.

Beyond all else good luck on the launch!

HTH.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Altair

Altair Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Ratings:
    +3
    Local Time:
    This is why I'd like to use centminMod to save time & effort & learning curve, however sadly it's only maria db, and I doubt as you said hundred possible reasons that some mandatory addon for the project would execute an sql query that isn't supported in maria db which would fail the whole import process.

6. Altair

Altair Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Ratings:
    +3
    Local Time:
    The current version of mysql I'm running is: Server version: 5.6.21 - MySQL Community Server

• Server: 127.0.0.1 via TCP/IP
    • Server type: MySQL
    • Server version: 5.6.21 - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
    • Protocol version: 10
    • User: [email protected]
    • Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

• Apache/2.4.10 (Win32) OpenSSL/1.0.1i PHP/5.6.3
    • Database client version: libmysql - mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: f373ea5dd5538761406a8022a4b8a374418b240e $
    • PHP extension: mysqli

7. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,928
    Local Time:
    8:54 PM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    There is no way to be sure if your mysql databases are 100% compatible from outsiders viewpoint. The previously linked thread at MariaDB - MariaDB MySQL vs Oracle MySQL vs Percona MySQL has links and info for features and incompatibilities between MySQL vs MariaDB which can also read too. However, only way to be 100% sure is on a test server try importing your databases and using them as intended for your web apps. Linode.com is an hourly provider, so just spin on a VPS for a few hours of testing first and 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Altair

Altair Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Ratings:
    +3
    Local Time:
    Just wanted to thank you @eva2000 for all the effort you put in this, I'm currently starting a linode server and reading the guides, it's going good till now.

• Like Like x 1