Want more timely Centmin Mod News Updates?
Become a Member

CentOS 8.x Virtuozzo VzLinux 8.4

Discussion in 'CentOS, Redhat & Oracle Linux News' started by buik, Jul 7, 2021.

1. buik

buik "Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it." Premium Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Flanders
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Local Time:
    8:36 PM
    Introducing Virtuozzo VzLinux 8.4

The Virtuozzo team is always hard at work making sure that we release a new version and bug fixes that coincide with the updates provided by RHEL 8.4.

Download: http://repo.virtuozzo.com/vzlinux/8/iso/vzlinux-iso-8.4-7.iso
    Release notes: VirtuozzoSupport

This is the 5th release to fill the CentOS 8 gap, as CentOS Linux 8 support ends in December 2021. Always good to see more options being added.

- Oracle Linux
    - Alma Linux
    - Rocky Linux
    - Navy Linux
    - VzLinux

With 5 flavors, there is more than enough to continue to use CentOS non streamish.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,525
    Local Time:
    4:36 AM
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Oh at first I thought a Virtuozzo release, than I realised it's a new RH 8.4 based Linux OS! Wow so much choice. I think right now AlmaLinux is getting the most traction from what I can see. Personally, I am also leaning to AlmaLinux given their track record with CloudLinux and I their work on KernelCare - hoping one day AlmaLinux get's an Oracle Linux UEK 5.x like Linux Kernel for AlmaLinux too :)

3. buik

buik "Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it." Premium Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Flanders
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Local Time:
    8:36 PM
    From what I see in the field, Oracle is by far the largest.
    In terms of most traction.

When I look at the website of Alma Linux they push it mainly to Plek and cPanel related shared hosting server admins.

Alma Linux is nice to have if you have a few private servers with own managed shared cPanel or Plesk users.
    But if you want to commercialize this? Then you actually already need CloudLinux.
    Otherwise, a customer can easily pull down the entire server.

And that is of course what CloudLinux is all about.
    CloudLinux want to keep CentOS alive in order to keep the switch as small as possible.

But ... What are we talking about on the shared hosting boat? 5 dedicated servers, 10, maybe max 25.

And then the comparison with Oracle that focuses on large business.
    An average Oracle database cluster runs on thousands of dedicated machines to start with. Then it starts counting. The Oracle software is already absurdly expensive. But then you're not done yet. As you need to purchase a few thousand licenses from Red Hat.

That's where Oracle comes in with their Red Hat clone.
    You can get a discount when you switch to Oracle Linux running your Oracle software.

I don't like it at all.
    Had a lot of trouble with Oracle shit.... In terms of instability, over-powered software, vendor locks etc etc in my working life.
    But Oracle is pushing Oracle Linux and takes it very smart.

Financial managers are very sensitive to the word 'discount'.
    Same bits, other price thing. How it is implemented? A slick financial manager doesn't care.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,525
    Local Time:
    4:36 AM
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    oh my comment was most traction between AlmaLinux vs Rocky Linux :)

But yes Oracle Linux has a nice few years head start on AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux at least :D