Discover Centmin Mod today
Register Now

Sysadmin Utilize more memory

Discussion in 'System Administration' started by Andy, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Premium Member Premium Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Ratings:
    +66
    Local Time:
    12:41 AM
    I have 32GB ram on my server and most of the time, it uses only 3-4GB ram.
    My server runs a pretty standard XF, Sendy, elasticsearch and standard Centmin stack.
    Is there anyway to provide more memory to PHP, mysql, etc to make it run faster?

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,892
    Local Time:
    3:41 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Be sure you're reading memory usage correctly first - Help! Linux ate my RAM! :) Allocating more memory doesn't necessarily make things run faster. Your web apps have to require and utilise the actual memory which is different from allocating it otherwise it still is unused generally.

You need to figure out each components memory usage as well as their relevant settings to adjust i.e. nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, elasticsearch, zend opcache, redis, memcached etc and tune/allocate memory to relevant buffers or settings.

Centmin Mod is provide as is, so short of scripted related bugs or issues, any further optimisation to the web stack components - nginx, php-fpm, mariadb mysql, csf firewall etc or web app specific configurations are left to the Centmin Mod user to deal with. So I do not provide any free support for such.

However, there's many linux tools and scripts that can help you figure out usage at least. Including starting with PHP Opcode cache/memcached statistics pages PHP Opcode and Memcached statistics pages

Tools and commands you will want to read up on and learn for basic system admin tasks and troubleshooting.
    Notes:
    However, Centmin Mod users are free to help each other out and ask questions or give answers on this community forum. My hopes are that this community forum evolves so that more veteran long time Centmin Mod users help new Centmin Mod users out :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,892
    Local Time:
    3:41 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    FYI, you may get more performance out of these tips here than just blindly over allocating memory :) ;)

• Like Like x 1