Get the most out of your Centmin Mod LEMP stack
Become a Member

Upgrade Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions' started by Jimmy, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy Premium Member Premium Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +555
    Local Time:
    11:59 PM
    1.13.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    1. Under your Resources tab (Main Site) the "Centmin Mod VPS Server Install Guide" link is dead 404.

2. I'm confused about upgrades. I install stock Centmin. I go through the upgrades via the numbers - upgrade Nginx, PHP, etc. to my desired versions. What does "Update - Nginx + PHP-FPM + Siege" exactly do? Is that the upgrade for the stock install? Will it roll back any upgrades I made via PHP Upgrade / Downgrade and Nginx Upgrade / Downgrade.

When I upgrade to the latest Centmin code base do I have to run the Update - Nginx + PHP-FPM + Siege? If I have the custom conf file setup with the versions I want should I run "Update - Nginx + PHP-FPM + Siege" instead of running the individual PHP / Nginx upgrade options.

What exactly do I have to do to keep the system up to date (Centmin software)?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    Local Time:
    1:59 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    yeah never got around to creating that page heh

it's as it stated it does centmin.sh menu options 4+5 together + siege update all in one step - it was added as currently there is no separate siege update menu, so it was just handy to do all 3 upgrades via one menu option
    it's totally optional if you want to run that i.e. only if you have a new siege version defined in centmin.sh

Upgrading Centmin Mod Code to Latest Version

Upgrading Centmin Mod involves 2 parts.
    1. Upgrading the actual Centmin Mod code outlined at Upgrade Centmin Mod - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS This is heart of Centmin Mod where the code is the engine that runs centmin.sh shell based menu and all the automation you're accustomed to.
    2. Upgrade software that Centmin Mod installed or manages. For this part following outline at Upgrade - How to upgrade Centmin Mod | Centmin Mod Community
    So essentially, you can upgrade from .07 to .08 in place, but not everything is upgraded as some things like server initial environment setup isn't changed i.e. how swap, tmp setup and allocation are created etc. The main parts from part 2 above are what in place upgrades do i.e. Nginx and PHP-FPM compilation and config/settings parameters and MariaDB version from 5.5 to 10.0.x. If you want the full environment changed including tmp and swap setup to .08's configuration, then you would need a fresh OS install and fresh .08 initial install. You can think of it like upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8. An in place upgrade will upgrade code but won't change your computer environment from when you installed Windows 7 i.e. disk configuration and partition sizes won't change from when you initially installed Windows 7. Only way to change that would be fresh Windows 8 install.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Jimmy

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +555
    Local Time:
    1.13.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    Thanks for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I'm understanding.

If I upgrade PHP / Nginx via the independent upgrade options, I can upgrade to the version I want.

If I use the "Update PHP, Nginx, and Siege" option it will will do what's the default Centmin Mod install, unless I have a custom_conf file setup to determine which PHP / Nginx version I want. So, if I upgraded via the independent options to PHP v5.6.15 and then ran the "Update PHP, Nginx, and Siege" update, without a custom config file, it would return PHP to version 5.4.x (not sure what the base PHP version is in Centmin but I know it's 5.4.x)?

4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    Local Time:
    1:59 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    it will use versions defined in centmin.sh or persistent config file /etc/centminmod/custom_config.inc so usually if latest nginx or php version is in centmin.sh after updating centmin mod code via Upgrade Centmin Mod - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS

so yes PHP 5.4.30 in centmin.sh for .08 stable or 5.5.30 in .09 beta or whatever PHP version defined in your custom persistent config file at /etc/centminmod/custom_config.inc

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jimmy

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +555
    Local Time:
    1.13.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    Thanks, that clears that up. Still working out the "finer details" but everything is up, running, and working like a World Class Rugby player. ;)

• Like Like x 1