Join the community today
Become a Member

Install Upgrade / Downgrade Server Specs

Discussion in 'Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions' started by anthony parsons, Jul 16, 2018.

1. anthony parsons

anthony parsons Premium Member Premium Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Ratings:
    +22
    Local Time:
    5:59 AM
    Current yum stable
    I believe centmin auto tunes to the server specs on install. If I upgrade / downgrade server specs, is there an auto feature to retune OR what is tuned specifically that should be changed when change cores, ram?

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,532
    Local Time:
    4:59 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Native feature is not to auto tune on downgrade/upgrade of server specs as centmin mod users may have already customised their settings for nginx, php-fpm and mariadb. I think centmin mod users wouldn't be too happy if centmin mod auto overrode all their custom config settings !

3. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +92
    Local Time:
    2:59 PM
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    An option in the CMM menu would be awesome IMO. That way, it doesn't affect those people while it benefits others.

• Like Like x 1
  4. anthony parsons

anthony parsons Premium Member Premium Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Ratings:
    +22
    Local Time:
    5:59 AM
    Current yum stable
    Agreed. With the ease of VPS upgrade / downgrade now, server specs change.
    Sure. But aren't many of those settings now wrong if you increase your specs to handle more traffic, or downgrade to lack of traffic / better specs being offered on lower tier VPS?

I'm not asking for it to be a menu option. Sure, it would be sweet... but is there a list of what should be, and is essential, changed on such upgrade / downgrade?

5. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,532
    Local Time:
    4:59 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Those settings only optimise the server for the hardware detected. But that doesn't optimise your web app/scripts for the hardware resources - that part is up to end users to tune. So if they tune for their web app/scripts and suddenly get their settings overridden = bad.

But as i said native feature is not to auto tune again but doesn't stop you manually doing it somewhat Upgrade - Resizing VMs ;)

• Like Like x 1