Learn about Centmin Mod LEMP Stack today
Become a Member

Install Understanding Server Hosting Requirements for Centmin Mod?

Discussion in 'Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions' started by Christopher Flann, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Christopher Flann

Christopher Flann New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    8:30 AM
    I don't have a Centmin Mod installation yet. I am here to learn. To see if I could change my current system of hosting WP websites from using Virtualmin to using Centmin Mod, or at least supplement what I do now.

In reading the getting started guide, it looks like the recommended resources for a Centos 7 installation is 2GB of memory.

If I only host a single website with moderate traffic, do I still need 2GB?

How many websites with moderate traffic could I host on a 2GB OpenVZ VPS with reasonable resources, not horribly oversold?

If I want to get the maximum speed for the dollar, should I be looking at Centos 6 as the memory requirements are a lot lower than Centos 7?

I'd appreciate any other advise on how to get going. When you are an absolute beginner, it is often difficult to get enough knowledge to ask the right questions.

Please fill in any relevant information that applies to you:
    • CentOS Version: i.e. CentOS 6 32bit or 64bit / CentOS 7 64bit ?
    • Centmin Mod Version Installed: i.e. 123.08stable or 123.09beta01
    • Nginx Version Installed: i.e. 1.11.10
    • PHP Version Installed: i.e. 5.6.30 or 7.0.15
    • MariaDB MySQL Version Installed: i.e. 10.0.21 or 10.1.21
    • When was last time updated Centmin Mod code base ? : i.e. run centmin.sh menu option 23 submenu option 2
    • Persistent Config: Do you have any persistent config file options set in /etc/centminmod/custom_config.inc ? You can check via this command:

cat /etc/centminmod/custom_config.inc

Post output in CODE tags.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,136
    Local Time:
    12:30 AM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Really it depends on the site for spec'ing server resources, folks could have
    • a low traffic site but the site has 10GB database to service
    • versus a high traffic site but site only has 1/20th size at 500MB of data to service.
    Both situations would require different amounts of cpu, memory and disk resources.

CentOS 7 itself has recommended system requirements of 1GB and 20Gb disk itself and then you have what Centmin Mod installs + your site data and usage requirements About/Product - CentOS Wiki and https://community.centminmod.com/th...uirements-for-centmin-mod-lemp-installs.6075/

I'd go CentOS 7 unless you have less than 1GB memory on server.

Official install page also has tips Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Install Nginx on CentOS

Also don't jump in the deep end first, do a test site migration with live on existing host and copy of your live site data on Centmin Mod server. That way you can learn and test and figure out your server requirements on test server first

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017