Get the most out of your Centmin Mod LEMP stack
Become a Member

Letsencrypt SSL cert expired, automatic renewal failed

Discussion in 'Domains, DNS, Email & SSL Certificates' started by Andy, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Premium Member Premium Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Ratings:
    +114
    Local Time:
    2:59 AM
    I got msg from members that they can't access the site and after some digging, it turns out that the cert has expired sometime today and the acme script failed to renew like usual.
    My immediate question is how to install another cert so I can get the site up and running. After buying a new cert, I would have to config the cnf file to use this new cert and I want to make sure I get it right.

Secondly, I'd try to figure out why the cert does not renew.

2. wmtech

wmtech Active Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Ratings:
    +97
    Local Time:
    8:59 AM
    The cert should have been renewed 30 days ago. So there should be a lot of failures in your log file. And you should have got failure notifications by e-mail also.

Maybe the cron for auto renewal got deleted somehow?

I would correct the problems with the renewal and just renew the cert with acme. This could be done in minutes and much quicker than buying and installing a new cert manually.

3. Andy

Andy Premium Member Premium Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Ratings:
    +114
    Local Time:
    2:59 AM
    I bought a Comodo SSL cert for $8 last night and installed it and get the site back within 30 minutes.
    It's a lot more efficient than going through the logs to figure out the issue and try to fix it without any guidance from @eva2000

Free is nice and I still plan to use it for other domains that I do not actively use.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,759
    Local Time:
    5:59 PM
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021