Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Register Now

Slow connection to my server

Discussion in 'System Administration' started by sepulchre, Nov 27, 2019.

1. sepulchre

sepulchre Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Ratings:
    +28
    Local Time:
    9:29 PM
    Hello,

I have slow connection (slow internet download speed) to my own server.

When I am downloading stuff from my forum, I get very low speed like 20-100 kb/s or when I connect via FileZilla to get a backup of my files, I only get very low numbers again.

I contacted my host and they requested mtr results from me and they said all look fine.
    I asked members of my forum and they said they can download stuff with high speed like 3 mb/s.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Thanks.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,792
    Local Time:
    5:29 AM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Using root user or pure-ftpd FTP user ? Tried different FTP client or via native SFTP client connection instead of FTP ?

Geographical distance between your server and you ? Your members might be closer to your server than you.

3. sepulchre

sepulchre Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Ratings:
    +28
    Local Time:
    9:29 PM
    Always root. Always sftp on filezilla.

Also, it is not just file transfer directly from the server. When I am logged in as admin in my own forum, when I download some files from my forum such as some pdfs, the download is extremely slow. It is not just download but page loads are very slow even though my server is perfectly running without overheating CPU or something (CPU usage 0.05 most of the time).

Actually I am closer, much closer than my target audience. I am like in the range of 200kms, whereas them in the range of 3000kms. It seems for them it runs smooth, for me it doesn't.

I am not sure if the problem lies within my host, my server setup or just me being unlucky with my ISP.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,792
    Local Time:
    5:29 AM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    You can try spinning on a test VPS with hourly billing provider like DigitalOcean, Vultr, Linode or Upcloud in a geographic region close your problematic server and see if they have issues that are specific to your problematic VPS.

As to general slowness of server, for a quick overview of your configuration and resource usage you can use Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 and newer version's cminfo top command outlined at cminfo command explained.

You may need to mask or remove your server's IP address/location if you are providing cminfo output depending on the options.

For top server statistics, command is:
    Code (Text):
    cminfo top

There are additional command flags / options for cminfo outlined below: