Want to subscribe to topics you're interested in?
Become a Member

Server Upgrade - is Centmin Mod still Optimized?

Discussion in 'Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions' started by bruno, Aug 30, 2017.

1. bruno

bruno Premium Member Premium Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Ratings:
    +7
    Local Time:
    10:25 AM
    I'm considering upgrading my server (am on Google Cloud, and could change the machine type, add RAM, more cores, more storaget etc.)

Given that Centmin Mod base LEMP stack is optimised out of the box for server hardware/specs detected, how can i make Centmin Mod be optimized to the new server specs, as opposed to the old ones?

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    Local Time:
    7:25 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    I made it only new installs get the optimised settings because I don't think any Centmin Mod user would like their own post-install customised settings overwritten everytime Centmin Mod does auto optimize again.

After initial Centmin Mod, all server configuration settings are solely left to end user to customise and re-optimize themselves. Some settings do detect the new server configs for available memory i.e. everytime you upgrade PHP via centmin.sh menu option 5, the preset custom php.ini settings outlined at PHP-FPM - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS for /etc/centminmod/php.d/a_customphp.ini are re-optimized.

Re-running tools/setio.sh manually can re-optimize MariaDB MySQL's InnoDB disk I/O related settings based on current disk I/O performance. But that's about it post-install, the rest are left alone for Centmin Mod users to config as they see fit.

Centmin Mod initial install optimisations based on server specs are just that optimisations for the server itself. Once you add web apps and software/scripts to your server, you ideally need to optimise server for those webapps/scripts anyway as base optimisations wouldn't be enough.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +30
    Local Time:
    6:25 AM
    Nginx 1.13.4
    MariaDB 10.1.26
    I'm been hearing some talk about wasting memory.

Is this normal for a 2 GB VPS, where is says available?

[​IMG]

In a majority of the screenshots I've been seeing around the web, there is no mention of available. Naturally, I'd assume that's the additional unused memory my server has for php web page execution.

4. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mpower

mpower New Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Los Angeles, US
    Ratings:
    +8
    Local Time:
    2:25 AM
    Nginx 1.13.4
    MariaDB 10.1.26
    Does anyone have recommendation tips on what to re-optimize when we resize our VPS servers and increase RAM or CPU? I always start off installing Centmin Mod on a VPS server with 2GB RAM, then resize based on the traffic I'm handling.

6. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    • Like Like x 2