Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Become a Member

Nginx Russian Police Raid Nginx's Moscow Office

Discussion in 'Nginx and PHP-FPM news & discussions' started by eva2000, Dec 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,995
    Local Time:
    1:33 AM
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Interesting news development where Rambler Group filed a copyright violation against NGINX Inc claiming they own the Nginx code as Igore Sysoev developed Nginx while working as a system administrator at Rambler Russian police raid NGINX Moscow office | ZDNet !

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Premium Member Premium Member

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +264
    Local Time:
    10:33 AM
    I don't understand why you would stay in Russia at all with a company like Nginx.

3. Jay Chen

Jay Chen Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ratings:
    +72
    Local Time:
    11:33 AM
    My take is that it is hard to leave the country you grew up in, friends, family and the culture behind.

4. pamamolf

pamamolf Premium Member Premium Member

May 31, 2014
    Ratings:
    +731
    Local Time:
    5:33 PM
    Nginx-1.17.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    For a a copyright violation they should go to court. For me it is a bit offensive to send the police and seized computers...

5. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,995
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Yeah he spent almost 20yrs in Russia is home so I can understand it's harder to just leave.
    It's Russia !

Sometimes we take for granted our respective countries' freedoms and rights compared to Russia and China at least!

From Google translate of https://habr.com/ru/company/itsumma/blog/479942/

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  6. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,995
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    ‘A typical racket, simple as that’ Nginx co-founder Maxim Konovalov explains Rambler's litigation against his company, which develops the world’s most popular web-server — Meduza

7. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,995
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Got an email from Nginx CEO, Gus Robertson

8. EckyBrazzz

EckyBrazzz Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    >>>>Click here<<<< i'm nearby......
    Ratings:
    +334
    Local Time:
    12:33 PM
    Latest
    Latest
    Just arrived same mail

9. Droidism

Droidism New Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Ratings:
    +15
    Local Time:
    4:33 PM
    It could be me, but I never really understood the “you developed it during working hours, on equipment owned by the company, so now it is ours” attitude.

You see many dev related job postings where the company offers you a laptop of choice to work on. Following the logic of this part of Intellectual Property Rights, you, as a dev, run the risk of loosing at least halve your IP when you are daft enough to work on a side project in your own time and out of the comfort of your own home, but forgot to use your own machine.

Either that, or year’s of costly litigation are your future when you don’t think ahead. At least that is how it appears to me. Then again, I’m not a lawyer.

This all seems like a case of jealousy. Let’s hope Sysoev and others figure this one out and are able to put it to rest.

10. robert syputa

robert syputa Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Seattle
    Ratings:
    +46
    Local Time:
    latest
    Open source software development has established precedent in international commerce law and trade rulings. I have not dug into the specifics here. However, companies that have been in full knowledge of open source development that may have started in their premises or by their employees, whether on their own time or not, and had allowed that to occur for several years without laying claims have whatever claims they may have had diminish accordingly.

After 15 years proving that development took place at the former employer would be difficult. Igor and Maxim claim to have developed NGINX on their own time. That may be irrelevant because contributions have been made from many sources and the software is in the public domain. While Igor and Maxim may be held up to pay off the former employer, there is not likely to be more impact on the software development than the distraction it causes IMO.
    One principal at play here is that damage to the software efforts harms the plaintiff, Rambler, as well. I don't know how the Russian laws and courts work in particular, however, it they interfere with the software, they devalue the purpose of the lawsuit that claims rights to it.

This may be something that gets isolated from Russia in a practical way... it just develops outside of Russia if need be. Or Rambler gets paid off ... seems very Russian way of doing things.. thugocracy.

11. EckyBrazzz

EckyBrazzz Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Ratings:
    +334
    Local Time:
    Latest
    Latest
    Communism actually works great in a society of under 200 or so people. (prob. they don't use Nginx)

We typically call it “primitive communism,” but most tribal societies don’t have the same views on property that we do. And a lot of them really do ascribe to the whole “from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs” pretty closely.

But you have to understand: these are small, tight-knit groups, closely related by blood, and whose individual survival depends on the survival of the group.

These groups are small enough that social pressure is the only system of control you need. People will exhibit great altruism to their in-group — the members of one’s “monkey sphere, ” if you will. They will work together selflessly for those they love and cherish.

It’s only when you try to expand that innate altruism to a larger group that Communism falls apart. Because the “monkey sphere” —the cognitive limit on how many interpersonal relationships a person can maintain — is in the 200-300 range. And it’s only these interpersonal relationships that allow Communism to work.

If my sister asks me for a sandwich, I’m going to buy her a sandwich, because she’s my sister. If a friend loses their metrocard, or needs a ride home, or to borrow my paint set, I’ll help them because I care about them.

But if Johnny in the next town over needs money for his daughter’s operation, then he can go fuck himself. Because who is he to me? I don’t know him. I don’t care about him. He’s the dirt under my shoes for all I care.

And that’s the great failure of Communism. It assumes that the workers of the world give two shits about each other. And they don’t.

upload_2019-12-17_4-21-33.png

12. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,995
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    that's where in crowd funding platforms shine i.e. gofundme for unrelated folks that care :D

13. robert syputa

robert syputa Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Seattle
    Ratings:
    +46
    Local Time:
    latest
    I like your post. All society was communist before civilization corrupted it ... half joking.

14. EckyBrazzz

EckyBrazzz Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Ratings:
    +334
    Local Time:
    Latest
    Latest
    @RobertSoape Brazil was on its way with LULA, also a political party with a red flag.... Not joking