Learn about Centmin Mod LEMP Stack today
Register Now

Right now what VPS provider would you choose?

Discussion in 'Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting' started by Cervent, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Revenge

Revenge Active Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Portugal
    Ratings:
    +333
    Local Time:
    8:27 AM
    1.9.x
    10.1.x
    Im not affiliated with them, but i use several vps's from them and the owner is known in other forums.

I can also tell you that each server have 384Gb of Ram, and because he doesn't oversell ram, we know he can have 64 Vps's of 6Gb per server.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. inthecloudblog

inthecloudblog Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +83
    Local Time:
    5:27 AM
    We use Linode for prod ( I have internal data that their network and security is crap) and have acquaintance who deals with DO support and I see that they are evolving much faster and their CP is much more neat.

3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,736
    Local Time:
    6:27 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    interesting indeed.. is this in respect to the past ddos attacks and how their network coped or something not made public yet ?

4. buik

buik Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Ratings:
    +962
    Local Time:
    9:27 AM
    Just because of my curiosity.
    If the Linode network and security is crap, you can prove this and you do have an acquaintance who deals with DO.
    Why are you still on Linode with your production environment then?
    There are lot of providers. No reason to stick with Linode at all in your case.

5. inthecloudblog

Jan 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +83
    Local Time:
    I work for a company that uses Linode. I'd not choose them ( not Atlanta).

Read about it in LET.

6. Saumya Majumder

Saumya Majumder Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Ratings:
    +12
    Local Time:
    1:57 PM
    If you are looking for an unmanaged vps which you will manage your own, then go with Linode. I used them for few years and they are good.

But the problem I had was I have too much things on my plate. Manage the server, site, business, providing customer support etc. by my own. So it was very hard for me to manage the server, run all the fix/patches by my own every single time. So, I went with a managed VPS provider.

As a managed VPS provider I will highly recommended Bigscoots.com I have been using them for many years now and I'm exceptionally happy with their server hardware, network and especially with their fast highly technical support team. On any problem they never told me crappy things like deactivate all your plugins, change your browser - this sort of crappy thing. Always to the point technical reply with proper logs if needed.

So in short if you are looking for an unmanaged vps provider, go with Linode; if you are looking for an exceptional managed VPS provider, go with Bigscoots.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,736
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    not finding the specific threads on LET ?
    indeed.. though i am too much of a control freak to let someone else manage my server the way I want to. Hence, Centmin Mod LEMP stack is born :D

8. Saumya Majumder

Saumya Majumder Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Ratings:
    +12
    Local Time:
    I know but the best part of Bigscoots is that if you take their managed VPS plan, and you know what you want your server to have, you just tell them, they will do the custom setup for you free. I also needed the same when I went to Bigscoots. I had too many things in my mind about how my server should be configured. So, I tell them I need this, this and that with that patch or feature enabled etc. and they did exactly that. That is why I highly recommend them. Just because you are getting a managed VPS with them doesn't mean you need to use your server they way they like it to be configured, instead they will do the config you want (and manage it) without you doing all those pisky config works. That's why I love them ;):)

In fact I am also using centminmod on my Bigscoots vps itself ;)

9. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,736
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    ah that does reminds me that Bigscoots actually uses Centmin Mod for their official site too - there's quite a handful of web hosts that I know that are keeping an eye on or using Centmin Mod - world domination to come :D

Code (Text):
    curl -I https://www.bigscoots.com/
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: nginx centminmod
    Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 07:53:35 GMT
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Connection: keep-alive
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    X-Powered-By: centminmod
    X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
    X-Frame-Options: DENY

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Saumya Majumder

Saumya Majumder Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Ratings:
    +12
    Local Time:
    Yes they do. As I said they have a great technical team (completely bullshit free) managing the servers and that's the reason I recommend them to everyone because they are that much great. Their datacenter is located at Steadfast, uses the latest gent cpu ram, pure ssd (samsung evo pro), mindblowing network. It's just amazing.

I remember, a few months back there was a DDOS on Bigscoots network. As it was a very complicated DDOS, you can understand how much time it may take to fix it and make sure it never happens again. But doing so may include many downtime and slow website speed. That is why overnight (in 1hr or so) Bigscoots created a new network path for all the servers to make sure all of their clients sites runs smoothly while they are fighting DDOS.

Truly amazing, quality service indeed. If you or anyone wants to try it out, go use them for a month and you will see. Moreover if you get any of their vps or dedicated server, you will still have your ssh root access in case you wanna optimize your server even more, like doing trial and error checks with various pagespeed configs. So, just because you are getting a managed server doesn't mean you will not have your own root access. ;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  11. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,736
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Revenge

Revenge Active Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Portugal
    Ratings:
    +333
    Local Time:
    8:27 AM
    1.9.x
    10.1.x
    I would never go with a managed vps/server, because taking that out of me, would simple kill me :D

But its good for people that don't know or can't manage their server. The price seems good for a managed service.

13. Saumya Majumder

Saumya Majumder Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Ratings:
    +12
    Local Time:
    It is not just good for people who don't know how to manage server, it is also extremely good for people who has to manage a lot other things and don't have to time manage the server or patch it time to time (like me). But again, everyone has their own opinion.

14. Cervent

Cervent New Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Ratings:
    +6
    Local Time:
    3:27 AM
    N/A
    MariaDB 10
    Wow, so many great responses. Thanks for the feedback!

@bassie I actually signed up with two services. Linode and Vultr. I love the interface at Vultr, it's just incredibly slick, plus being only $5 for their basic plan allows me to play around with building servers for next to nothing.

Linode seems to be the most popular here and at WebHostingTalk, many say their performance is better (I can not attest to that, yet), but their interface is total rubbish compared to Vultr. That said, it is still very much usable and as I get done playing around with the Vultr servers I would like to start putting production on Linode (for that better performance).

Management VPS plans might be nice for some people but I really do want to learn this stuff. I don't expect to be the next @eva2000 by no means but would really like to have at least the basic understanding of how to move around on the server and set one up and having someone manage the server for me seems a bit counterproductive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,736
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    was checking out their vps sign up routine they install whm/cpanel by default unless you ask them not to ?? i plan to compile a list of web hosts which support Centmin Mod and any web hosts that are fully managed that support Centmin Mod. It seems while there's a few unmanaged VPS hosts looking at Centmin Mod, there's in fact a few (yes other than BigScoots) that are fully managed that may support Centmin Mod too - didn't though they were around too ! :)
    yup basic knowledge and learning is essential as no all managed hosts are equal. You have the competent and knowledgeable and proactive managed hosts and then you have the less-competent and less knowledgeable web hosts and that can be the difference between good performing and relative secure server/hosting or not !

16. Saumya Majumder

Saumya Majumder Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Ratings:
    +12
    Local Time:
    Yes that's true. They do this for very specific reason. You see not all VPS user are nerds. So, imagine a person know nothing about linux commands and purchased a very high power vps/dedicated for his project. Now as a host you super tuned his server with centminmod and gave it to him. He will literally freak out, if you tell him to create a database he needs to write commands :LOL:

So, it's better to give it to people who are familiar with these stuffs. Infact if you message them saying you need nginx for your server, they will always go with centminmod (y):smuggrin:

Also I never said that only Bigscoots supports centminmod. What I said is they are extremely proficient and knowledgeable and provide completely bullshit free support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,736
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    oooh nice - i think this and just finding out other fully managed hosts are using Centmin Mod for their LEMP may account for why there's roughly 3,000+ new Centmin Mod installs each month and growing ! :D:cool: Also may account for why these new Centmin Mod users aren't registering on these forums and asking for help.. seems their web hosts have already taken care of them !

Just hope they're keeping their Centmin Mod LEMP stack servers up to date :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. RB1

RB1 Active Member

Nov 11, 2016
    California
    Ratings:
    +122
    Local Time:
    12:27 AM
    Nginx 1.18.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    No wonder your site is so fast for me. Only ~25 miles from the Linode data center

• Like Like x 1
  19. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,736
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    hehe indeed close.. being in Brisbane, Australia I will never ever experience such speeds for my own forums here. Distance too great across the big pond :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. inthecloudblog

Jan 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +83
    Local Time:
    I do like forum speed but ain't Fremont Hurricane Electrics single homed facility?