Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Become a Member

Sysadmin Rate to manage servers

Discussion in 'System Administration' started by Andy, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Premium Member Premium Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Ratings:
    +85
    Local Time:
    12:50 PM
    So this is maybe off topic but I'm sure some of you guys may have some input.
    I'm in talk with someone who have a few websites servers that run Wordpress, VB. I want to help them move to Xenforo.
    While we were discussing that topic, he inquires whether I can manage his servers as contractors.
    I do manage my sites for years using Centminmod so familiar with many tasks. I do not know how much to charge him. Per hour or on a monthly basis. What the work will entail.

I don't need the money and my rate is not cheap and I don't have lot of time.
    But I do like to help him since his forum is in the niche I'm interested in and he is helping lot of other people.

Anyone has any suggestion for something that will work for both of us.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,524
    Local Time:
    3:50 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Really comes down to how much your time + knowledge are worth to you and that potential client which also factors in direct and indirect costs to you that you need to cover. This can be relative to your geographic location and costs of living too. Per hour is the usual method but if you do the job regularly, you'll eventually have a known system/method in place and have a rough idea of how much time and effort you need to put in and can look at bundled fixed fee or longer terms i.e. monthly.

Also there's basically 2 methods of operation folks do.
    1. Where they charge a much lower rate and rely on high turn over and juggling many clients simultaneously or
    2. Where they charge a higher rate and less clients simultaneously
    Both ultimately would be determined by your relative cost & availability of your time and value of your knowledge.

Also make sure to write up exactly what your service/work covers and what it doesn't cover so there's no misunderstandings from the start.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Andy

Andy Premium Member Premium Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Ratings:
    +85
    Local Time:
    12:50 PM
    Thank you for your input George. Really appreciate it.
    I see many area where I can help him save in cost, optimize the site so in the long term, it will cost him less.
    He already have some admin, IT guys so I don't know which role I will play. I will have a meeting with him next week to see what he has in mind.

Moving his site to XF will be a huge undertaking. The first couple of tasks will be time consuming but I suppose when the migration is over and everything works, it will be proactive updating, keeping the servers up to date, etc.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,524
    Local Time:
    3:50 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Can be tricky situations when there's more than 1 chef in the kitchen so to speak when stuff goes wrong and the blame game starts - so document all your work and every step you do so you can reference back to everything when needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +92
    Local Time:
    1:50 PM
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    If your time is limited, would you be able to answer his call in case of an emergency?

If I'm thinking in the mind of a customer, that's one of the most important things I look out for.