Get the most out of your Centmin Mod LEMP stack
Become a Member

Hardware ram vs hdd

Discussion in 'Dedicated server hosting' started by briansol, Jun 26, 2020.

1. briansol

briansol New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3
    Local Time:
    9:12 AM
    I'm still chicken after lurking here for years to get on this stack. It's time to move forward.

2020 is the year of cost reduction for me as my site is earning less than it ever did post may 5 algo change.

So, my current machine is 7 years old so it's time to change anyway. i currently have a dual hexacore E5-2620 running 8gb ram. honestly, it's more than enough performance for the site but it actually costs me about double what i'm pricing out below. loads are low, but my performance figures are not where i would like them to be.

Leaving cpanel behind will be hard for me, but i can't justify the $30/m cost anymore. And, i'm tired of apache being slow and need to improve my content paint scores in lighthouse.
    with cpanel, its about 200/m.

So, i'm on strict budget of around $100/m out the door for my new provisioning. That means, no cpanel for starters, and maybe even skimping on some other areas if I can to reduce costs even more. But, not at the sacrifice of peformance. I need to rank well again to get traffic back! This is kinda the last ride... if this doesn't work, my 20 year old forum is going to go on a shared host and timeout all the time just because i'm too vain to turn it off.

Pricing a few severs at leaseweb (where i've been for a long time before as servint), i can get a Xeon E3-1270v6 with either a
    1tb sata drive with 32gb ram
    or
    2x 240gb ssd with 16 gb ram

for about the same price and come in under budget. 64 gb ram is out of budget.

I don't need the space - i've offloaded most data to s3 so that's not a factor. (20gb is more than enough)

does the ssd advantage go away when everything is cached in memory? innodb? redis?

what about raid options? raid 10 with 4 disks is just 7 bucks more. I can't imagine it being faster, but i'm obsolete in my understanding of modern technology. (backups aren't a concern, they are on s3 too). i figure if i lose a drive, i'm probably down anyway so i'm not considering uptime in this at all. just speed.

I've looked into other providers as well like ovh and such and i can't get a better price without adding some things i don't want, or sacrificing for a non server chip set. but, i am open to options.

More questions -
    what are you all using for email? dns?

I am not on cloudflare. I invested in aws cloudfront instead a while back when i was considering putting everything on ec2 instances but that plan didn't work out. It's actually more costly.

Thanks, looking forward to making the jump this summer.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,816
    Local Time:
    11:12 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    welcome ex-lurker :)

dual Xeon E5-2620 Sandy Bridge are ancient by today standards and yeah cPanel is costly if you don't need it anymore. Even Xeon E3-1270v6 are showing their age LOL. Using Centmin Mod instead of cPanel saves me around US$60,000 per year in cPanel licensing fees ! :eek::cool::D

run away as fast as you can Any feedback/opinion for Leaseweb Singapore Dedicated Server?

email = Google Gsuite or Zoho Mail Email - Free @yourdomain.com Email Accounts & Alternatives

DNS, Cloudflare is my main DNS provider - you get a HUGE bang for your buck using Cloudflare for DNS and CDN cache/proxy web acceleration.

As to specific specs really depends on your web app usage requirements and how server is configured to use those resources. In general same always applies, SSD > HDD and more RAM better than less. Also have you ruled out if your web application usage requirements could be fulfilled by cloud/VPS hosting on high end dedicated/non-dedicated cpu side ? As then storage layer wouldn't be a factor as most (not all) VPS/cloud providers would have fast SSD/NVMe based storage layers. Then all that matters is cpu and memory capacity ?

Usually for my paying server optimisation consulting clients I do an analysis of their web app usage requirements to fully understand their hardware usage requirements and then advise accordingly and/or evaluate web hosts on their behalf.

3. briansol

briansol New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3
    Local Time:
    good to know that the 1270 is older too.

how about the
    Xeon® E-2136

ovh has a promo now for that one

4. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,816
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
  5. briansol

briansol New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3
    Local Time:
    Sorry to report i've chickened out again :(

I ended up getting cpanel on a vps at vultr with their high frequency vps. https://www.vultr.com/products/high-frequency-compute/

I figured after setting up email and a few other $5/m items i would need (Even though there are free options) i figured i'd be about the same $ wise a month.
    The account transfer and setup from cpanel to cpanel is hard to beat and i'm comfortable with it. I think that's the biggest thing.

i went from 12 cores and 8gb ram to 2 cores and 4gb ram and my site is WAY faster, especially in first byte time.

So, until i grow more hair to try it, i'll still be a big supporter of the stack and want to play more with it to comfort myself as i do want off apache. soon!

6. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,816
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Yeah no need to jump in deep end straight away. You can try an hourly VPS for testing Centmin Mod until you work up the courage and expertise Guide to learning more about Centmin Mod :)