Join the community today
Register Now

POEdit and FTP does not work

Discussion in 'Other Centmin Mod Installed software' started by tininho, May 22, 2019.

1. tininho

tininho Premium Member Premium Member

May 22, 2019
    Nordic
    Ratings:
    +36
    Local Time:
    3:34 PM
    Trying to translate Wordpress with POEdit Pro, but I can't connect to server's FTP with it.

Since POEdit does not support self-signed SSL certs, I have switched the server to accept non-SSL connections, but I get timeout error on Poedit.

Cyberduck connects normally. The settings (IP, username, password and connection type) are identical.

grep pure-ftpd /var/log/messages | tail -25
    tail -10 /var/log/lfd.log

Both log files do not react to any of POedit's connection attempts so there is nothing debug.

POEdit has responded so far with only this: "Timeouts are typically due to the server’s firewall silently dropping connections."

How can debug this or fix the problem?

• CentOS Version: Centos 7.6
    • Centmin Mod Version Installed: 123.09beta01
    • Nginx Version Installed:1.17
    • PHP Version Installed: 7.3
    • MariaDB MySQL Version Installed:10.4
    • When was last time updated Centmin Mod code base ? : today

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    Local Time:
    11:34 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Centmin Mod pure-ftpd only supports TLS FTP connections and thus requires the self-signed SSL cert. You can't connect without it and security wise you shouldn't. Never used POEdit so no idea about that other than maybe trying alternatives if there are any ?

However, if it's only for once off translation efforts, you can disable TLS self-signed ftp temporarily - instructions can read at Pure-FTPD Virtual FTP Users - under heading How to Disable Pure-FTPD Forced TLS/SSL Encrypted Mode?

I'd re-enable forced TLS encrypted FTP after you have done the translations though.

3. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    for this make sure firewalls on your client ftp side computers also aren't restricted see https://centminmod.com/ftp.html#firewalls - CSF Firewall configured by Centmin Mod should already have appropriate configuration on Centmin Mod server pure-ftpd side at least. If you have firewalls in front of Centmin Mod server though i.e. cloud firewall then you need to configure them for passive connections too.

4. tininho

May 22, 2019
    Nordic
    Ratings:
    +36
    Local Time:
    Poedit allows to use collaborative translating together with machine translations. This makes the translation process so much faster and more convenient compared to, well, everything.

And yes, I can connect to FTP (insecure & SSL) with Cyberduck.
    I can't connect to FTP (insecure & SSL) with POEdit (tried to disable the firewall, modifying pureftp conf file, no luck).
    I can connect other servers with POEdit.

So the mystery remains. I got around the problem with linking local folder to server's folder.

5. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
  6. tininho

May 22, 2019
    Nordic
    Ratings:
    +36
    Local Time:
    I thank you for your responsiveness and willingness to help.

So, from POEdit: "your server *is* blocking connections from api.poedit.net, which is where Poedit proxies connections through. That you don’t see anything in your logs is a matter of configuration on your end, but the packets evidently are dropped (not rejected), and it is not limited to port 21 (I tried 80 too)."

Problem solved with:

csf -a 172.104.150.128

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Ah so POEdit communicates outside of your server to a remote host - that would explain it as CSF Firewall would of prevented the inbound connection. So yes whitelisting IP in CSF Firewall is one way of doing it

8. tininho

May 22, 2019
    Nordic
    Ratings:
    +36
    Local Time:
    Indeed, I was not aware of this nor did it cross my mind :)