Get the most out of your Centmin Mod LEMP stack
Become a Member

NodeBB vs. Discourse

Discussion in 'Forum software usage' started by Jimmy, Sep 18, 2016.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,412
    Local Time:
    1:52 AM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    FYI, if you're a Centmin Mod Premium member, you get access to MultiView feature https://community.centminmod.com/posts/4798/

allows you to view all your selected forums on one page thread listing like NodeBB/Discourse :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. rdan

rdan Well-Known Member

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,663
    Local Time:
    11:52 PM
    Mainline
    Any other thoughts about this topic? :D

3. rdan

rdan Well-Known Member

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,663
    Local Time:
    Mainline
    Using Discourse for 3 weeks now on my brand new Forum, it works really cool and great.
    Feature from default install/no plugin is almost complete forum suite.

My plugins:
    upload_2018-8-13_12-5-38.png

Just using the cheapest OVH VPS.
    It has bundled a lot of very useful features that XenForo don't have.
    Plus the anonymous caching for guest is built-in, wow!

Still waiting XF 2.1, and then decide if I prooced to XF 2.1.x or Discourse for my current big board.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +862
    Local Time:
    11:52 AM
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    Discourse does have a lot of features. I wonder how hard it is to make plugins?

Not sure if there is an upgrade route w/ Discourse. (upgrade to Xenforo / IPB).

5. rdan

rdan Well-Known Member

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,663
    Local Time:
    Mainline
    Yeah, and I can't say it's bloated forum software.
    All the features included are useful or must have plugins from other forum script.

Based on Ruby so can't speak as I'm not a coder at all.

You mean Importer to Discourse?
    Yes they support almost all forum software: discourse/discourse

6. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +862
    Local Time:
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    In one sense, I do look at Discourse as bloated software because of the language they chose. But yes, in a traditional sense, it's pretty lean.

I meant the other way. I probably would never go to Discourse from IPB.

7. Colin

Colin Active Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Sheffield UK
    Ratings:
    +109
    Local Time:
    4:52 PM
    1.13.#
    MariaDB 10.1.#
    I almost converted to discourse from IPB ;) Except there wasn't a converter. I was going to go so far as a start over, leave the old forum on a 'archive', that's how much I hated IPB in the v3 days and the delays in v4, no search to speak of etc. I very begrudgingly upgraded to v4 and it's not been smooth, but hey it's still there, still running...

I'm a ruby dev of over 10 years so happier in that ecosystem (used to do coldfusion, php, asp in the 90/00's). IPB wanting to have access to ftp to view logs, having to ftp files to update, it was, is a step backwards for my dev/ops outlook... It irked me for a long time that fourms were mostly pre-factor 12 based.

But nothing came to replace, and it's a shrinking market now to do what discourse, nodebb did. Shrinking in the sense of investment required to become a challenger to the established gang of options.

Ruby/Ember relies on a lot of magic, or it can feel that way. Even after a decade I can be surprised how a bit of code/process works, or doesn't. Ruby can't be considered a fast language, fast to develop yes, the logic being hardware is far cheaper than developers. But end to end request time was/is still a challenge to be quick like <10ms quick. Certainly in the '07/'15 it was slow as dishwater, caching was almost mandatory. the likes of GO, Crystal and Elixir now really push the envelope and balance between developer productivity and under load/distributed performance. Although few of us truly need that. I'd be happier with 5x2Gb do instances than one 10Gb one.

I think the pattern of <web><api> applications is going to be strong for a period now. Given devices are far more powerful, let them do the work, it's a rehash of the old thin server fat client, which was a reinvention of the fat server, thin client. We'll bounce around that loop for eternity as device/network/server strengths weakness come and go.

I like discourse and agree it's great for conversation/support topics.

Like it or hate it, sadly the world has been polluted by the likes of facebook/youtube comment style interactions. 110 page threads are few and far between now. The conversation the discussion, largely replaced by 'like it' reactions. I could not scroll a thousand page build log, I want to nip to the last 20 comments. But I prefer to scroll a 20/30 reply topic on a specific bug/issue.

On monetisation, I've not looked at the discourse option recently, but if it can run adsense it should be able to run the DFP suite, a complex wrapper to adsense. If it can run that you can direct place/sell ad space, although far more complex in setup/delivery. Failing that you fork it, alter the code, then merge the updates and go, but that's now a support/cost you have to bear.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Jay Chen

Jay Chen Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ratings:
    +55
    Local Time:
    Care to share the link? It will be great to see live example of Discourse, other than the demo site.

9. rdan

rdan Well-Known Member

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,663
    Local Time:
    Mainline
    Discourse customers

10. klimbo

klimbo New Member