Want to subscribe to topics you're interested in?
Become a Member

Nginx Nginx not restarting with nprestart

Discussion in 'Nginx, PHP-FPM & MariaDB MySQL' started by CarpCharacin, Apr 11, 2021.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Ratings:
    +34
    Local Time:
    7:19 AM
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.1
    My linode account was compromised, not sure by who. Someone logged in, tried to make a payment of $200 on the account (?), and deleted the linode. Linode support doesn't think that the VPS was compromised because the root password is different from the linode account password, and I was able to restore it, but nginx wouldn't start:
    upload_2021-4-10_15-37-22.png

When restored, the main partition was smaller because apparently it the partition size on the restored VPS is based on the size of the stored image, not what it was set to for the linode that previously ran that image. I initially tried updating nginx, which finished, however I may have made a mistake by running the upgrade prior to resizing the partition, and nginx still won't start. I wish that there hadn't been a security breach, I don't know how someone else got my linode account credentials. The situation is very overwhelming. I also still have to update the DNS to reflect the new IPv6 address. Sorry for asking potentially trivial questions, it's been a while since I've done server-side troubleshooting, and I was never very competent in it.
    • CentOS Version: i.e. CentOS 6 32bit or 64bit / CentOS 7 64bit ? 7 64 bit
    • Centmin Mod Version Installed: i.e. 123.08stable or 123.09beta01
    • Nginx Version Installed: i.e. 1.19.3
    • MariaDB MySQL Version Installed: 10.3.x

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Ratings:
    +34
    Local Time:
    7:19 AM
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.1
    It looks like it's related to the mail setup, what a mess.
    upload_2021-4-10_15-53-12.png
    upload_2021-4-10_15-54-35.png
    There were lots of undeleted spam emails.

3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,631
    Local Time:
    11:19 PM
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    mail setup? Centmin Mod doesn't actually setup inbound @domain emails unless you did yourself. Only opendkim related set is for outbound emails at your root@yourhostname.yourdomain.com via Postfix if you setup optional opendkim via addon outlined at Beta Branch - Automated DKIM setup with opendkim

You can try running addons/opendkim.sh clean command outlined at Beta Branch - Automated DKIM setup with opendkim to resetup opendkim again with fresh SPF/DKIM DNS records needing updating

either way that isn't related to nginx restart issues. Check nginx config check command for reasons why
    Code (Text):
    nginx -t

using 2FA on Linode account ? Strong passwords not reused elsewhere ? Never send login details via normal email as email accounts can be compromised - send via encrypted emails only for login details. I use sendinc.com with encrypted emails for sharing or receiving sensitive login/passwords from my paying clients.

Don't use public wifi or unencrypted wifi networks - always use VPN encrypted connections on wireless networks and even wired these days. I use Cloudflare For Teams 1.1.1.1 VPN and NordVPN and also a few custom built own VPN servers using Wiredguard these days.