Want to subscribe to topics you're interested in?
Become a Member

Install Newbie question - need more information for CentminMod

Discussion in 'Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions' started by enginerev, Apr 11, 2018.

1. enginerev

enginerev New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    4:51 AM
    Apologies if my questions seem basic... I've stumbled upon 30 minutes ago... have tried reading loads... but not getting all answers.
    (Apologies if wrong place in forum to post - please move if needed.)

Still trying to figure out what CentminMod will give me...
    I have a Linix VPS with Cpanel?
    Will CentminMod help me replace my current hosting?

Is there a graphical interface or is everythig done through command line?
    I am OK doing if everyone else does this way.

On my VPS I have a Firewall and 'other' things.
    Will I get similar with CentminMod?
    On my current VPS firewall: total 100% protection - well actually I have no idea what this does or how it works!!! I just 'know' it's there.
    'Other' things: I get reports when there is a high load, I get reports of failed logins, the system automatically blocks IPs after x failed login attempts.

Maybe more important: what am I missing? What am I NOT getting with CentminMod that I am getting with my Linux hosting?

If I am missing nothig - but that I need to learn how to manage and use

I assume I just add Linux hosting and use CentminMod and that's all I need?

Thanks.

2. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +77
    Local Time:
    12:51 AM
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    > Centminmod doesn't have a GUI. Everything is done via command line and the centmin menu helps.
    > You'll have to manually transfer your data over with FTP and mysqldump.
    > Centminmod has a firewall by default - https://centminmod.com/csf_firewall.html

You will need to host email yourself. I recommend Zoho Mail for free email hosting.

3. enginerev

enginerev New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    4:51 AM
    thanks for the reply.
    adding domains, making SQL DBs and everything else, i asusme i can do on command line... i'm all ok with that.

most important question: is there ANYTHING i am missing that i have in my current hosting?

thanks

4. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +77
    Local Time:
    12:51 AM
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    Only web mail. Stuff like phpMyAdmin can always be installed on the new server.

5. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,470
    Local Time:
    1:51 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Official FAQ might help but keep in mind FAQ item 2, Centmin Mod isn't for shared hosting of other users. It's for managing your own sites yourself. Centmin Mod doesn't do email POP/IMAP inbound so you need 3rd party @domain email provider https://community.centminmod.com/threads/free-yourdomain-com-email-accounts-alternatives.280/

For moving site data there's 2 general guides where the principles & steps of backing up and moving data is the same just slightly different for
    1. Moving Centmin Mod site data to another Centmin Mod server
    2. Moving cPanel/WHM site data to Centmin Mod server <-- this is one you need for cPanel/WHM data migration
    Those guides move alot more than just the site(s) in question but config files etc. You can use your own best judgement as to the config files and whether you want to move them or just use the fresh server setup Centmin Mod config files as they get auto optimised for the server Centmin Mod initially installed on.

Yup Centmin Mod uses CSF Firewall out of box https://centminmod.com/csf_firewall.html. Most cPanel/WHM would also have CSF Firewall optionally installed by web hosts so they'd be the similar - just Centmin Mod auto configures CSF Firewall for Centmin Mod usage.

Make sure you install Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 and you get additional statictics available via cminfo netstat command including summary of failed ssh logins, distributed attack top countries and connection stats https://community.centminmod.com/threads/update-cminfo-command-with-netstat-flag-option.14468/

Big ticket items missing from Centmin Mod compared to cPanel/WHM would be
    1. not for shared hosting - centmin mod is for hosting own sites you trust yourself and not for providing shared hosting to other users you may not trust or know
    2. no POP/IMAP email @domain email hosting. So you need 3rd party @domain email provider https://community.centminmod.com/threads/free-yourdomain-com-email-accounts-alternatives.280/
    3. no gui, centmin mod is pure ssh shell based menu and script/commands see https://centminmod.com/menu.html
    4. no apache web server. Centmin Mod is pure nginx web server right now which means no .htaccess and apache rewrite support
    Ultimately, how much benefit you get out of using Centmin Mod depends on how much effort you put in learning - and there's lots goodies to learn about = How To Boost Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Performance :D There's 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,470
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    centmin.sh shell based menu options 2 and 22 are for adding nginx vhost domains and addons/mysqladmin_shell.sh is for adding mysql database users and databases etc

examples

• Like Like x 1
  7. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,470
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5