Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Become a Member

Need an easier-to-use database manager

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by unikey, Dec 30, 2019.

1. unikey

unikey New Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    5:10 PM
    Hi everyone
    Currently, when using Centmin Mod, we have to use phpmyadmin (beta)
    However, it is quite difficult to install for beginners.
    So I recommend integrating phpmyadmin into the Centmin menu. Thanks

2. brijendrasial

brijendrasial Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Ratings:
    +147
    Local Time:
    3:40 PM
    10.0.22-MariaDB
  3. JoeDer

JoeDer Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Ratings:
    +38
    Local Time:
    1:10 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    If I'm not wrong, before install phpMyAdmin, we must first recompile PHP and install Development Tools (The first question in option 5)?

4. wmtech

wmtech Active Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Ratings:
    +97
    Local Time:
    12:10 PM
    You don't have to use phpmyadmin. We always use Adminer to work with our centminmod databases over the web.

Adminer - Database management in a single PHP file

5. pamamolf

pamamolf Premium Member Premium Member

May 31, 2014
    Ratings:
    +711
    Local Time:
    1:10 PM
    Nginx-1.17.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    I think it is a good idea to have a menu: Addons

and be able to run all addon scripts from there and avoid navigating to the addons folder from cli and run them....

Like:

Addons
    -Phpmyadmin
    --Install
    --Uninstall

etc

Also the users will never have to go to the forums and search at addons section for everything that may need to install. They will know from that menu which addons are available and be able to use without manual running any cli command...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  6. Jay Chen

Jay Chen Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ratings:
    +70
    Local Time:
    6:10 AM
    I personally don't like to use phpmyadmin, it is just another app that can get compromised, that has to be keep up to date and secure. Not worth the trouble if you ask me.

I just use sql client over SSH, for example HeidiSQL. It has all the functionalities of phpmyadmin that I need.
    Just my two cents, I understand everyone has different preference

7. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,717
    Local Time:
    8:10 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    welcome @unikey to Centmin Mod Community.

Yes phpmyadmin is deliberately separate addon outlined at https://centminmod.com/addon_phpmyadmin.html and not within centmin.sh menu so not to make to it too easy to install as it's one possible vector for compromise if you have web facing access to your MySQL databases. Reading the security and other info at https://centminmod.com/addon_phpmyadmin.html before install at least also informs users of how Centmin Mod differs in it's setup, configuration and updating of phpmyadmin compared to other regular phpmyadmin installs. A menu option wouldn't get folks to read that extra info first usually.

For most folks creating database user/database names can be done more safely via addons/mysqladmin_shell.sh outlined at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/mysqladmin_shell-sh-shell-based-addon.543/

Example for createuserdb run where you pass on command line the database name, mysql username and mysql password - in this example creating db name = xdb1, db user = xdbuser1 and db pass = xdbpass1
    Code (Text):
    ./mysqladmin_shell.sh createuserdb xdb1 xdbuser1 xdbpass1
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Basic MySQL Admin - create mysql user & databases

Grants for xdb1@localhost
    GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'xdb1'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*6D7525873C093916CA45CF6A9F12142EFC4C5F38'
    GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX, ALTER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES, EXECUTE ON `createuserdb`.* TO 'xdb1'@'localhost'

Ok: MySQL user: xdb1 MySQL database: createuserdb created successfully

no need for public web facing interface such as phpmyadmin or adminer etc :)

There's 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod ;) And to modifying config files and manage services more quickly, check out Centmin Mod Command Shortcuts.

Might also be interested in reading up on latest LEMP stack comparison benchmarks tagged here.

You might want to try the 123.09beta01 build as it will be next stable release and well has alot of improvements if you check 2nd post change log at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing. And you can share your initial install times here.

Threads you might want to participate in ;)

Quick Tips

Threads & Info To Bookmark

Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:

Centmin Mod Insights Forum

The Centmin Mod Insights forums digs deeper into the inner workings of Centmin Mod so some useful threads in this forum include:

Security Related Developments

A few security related developments you might be interested reading about

Premium Membership

Centmin Mod Donations

You now can show your love and support for Centmin Mod via

8. unikey

unikey New Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    5:10 PM
    Thank for all
    I think that I have chosen my database management solution :)