Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Become a Member

Making the switch!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Rake-GH, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Rake-GH

Rake-GH Premium Member Premium Member

Jul 29, 2019
    USA
    Ratings:
    +26
    Local Time:
    5:49 AM
    Saw you on Xenforo forums 1-2 years ago, I'm maxing out my shared hosting and decided to make the jump to Centmin Mod and a VPS.

I've been reading all the guides for the past 1-2 weeks and now I'm setting it up on a test server right now. Will be interesting to say the least, so much to learn.

I run a Xenforo 2 forum with 115k members about coding & hacking

• Like Like x 2
  2. steph40

steph40 Premium Member Premium Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Ratings:
    +25
    Local Time:
    mariadb 10
    Welcome to the club!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,408
    Local Time:
    7:49 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    welcome @Rake-GH to Centmin Mod Community and Centmin Mod. You came to the right place :)

There's 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod ;) And to modifying config files and manage services more quickly, check out Centmin Mod Command Shortcuts.

Might also be interested in reading up on latest LEMP stack comparison benchmarks tagged here.

You might want to try the 123.09beta01 build as it will be next stable release and well has alot of improvements if you check 2nd post change log at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing. And you can share your initial install times here.

Threads you might want to participate in ;)

Quick Tips

Threads & Info To Bookmark

Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:

Centmin Mod Insights Forum

The Centmin Mod Insights forums digs deeper into the inner workings of Centmin Mod so some useful threads in this forum include:

Security Related Developments

A few security related developments you might be interested reading about

Premium Membership

Centmin Mod Donations

You now can show your love and support for Centmin Mod via

4. Rake-GH

Jul 29, 2019
    USA
    Ratings:
    +26
    Local Time:
    I've successfully setup my site on CentMinMod twice, the first time it took me about 6 hours with all the little mistakes I made, the second time it took 2 hours. Once I completely 100% configure it working perfectly it'll be time for round 3 and then I'll point the domain over to the new server.

I am taking notes on the whole process and maybe I can post a little guide or "my experience" post, maybe that would be helpful to others who are getting started with it.

Basically my setup is:
    Digital Ocean
    Centmin mod latest beta
    PHP 7.2
    Cloudflare
    LetsEncrypt
    Xenforo 2

So far so good.

I'm considering making a Youtube video of the process too, I make tutorials there

• Like Like x 1
  5. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,408
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
  6. Rake-GH

Jul 29, 2019
    USA
    Ratings:
    +26
    Local Time:
    I'm not an expert so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm going to post about any hiccups I have had and maybe they will be helpful.

Using this guide:
    https://centminmod.com/nginx_configure_xenforo_seo_friendly_urls.html

When setting the permissions using CHMOD the commands listed actually 404 my Xenforo 2 site. I referenced the default permissions from a stock installation of Xenforo 2 and these commands correctly set the permissions to match a default install of Xenforo 2, running these commands fixed the issues. Perhaps a change needs to be made to the guide, I don't know.

Code:
    find /home/nginx/domains/newdomain.com/public/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0644;
    find /home/nginx/domains/newdomain.com/public/ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0755;
    find /home/nginx/domains/newdomain.com/public/internal_data/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0777;
    find /home/nginx/domains/newdomain.com/public/data/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0777;
    find /home/nginx/domains/newdomain.com/public/internal_data/ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0777;
    find /home/nginx/domains/newdomain.com/public/data/ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0777;
    chmod 0750 /home/nginx/domains/newdomain.com/public;

internal_data and data folders require 777 to upload attachments, avatars, etc...The above permissions are what is set with a default installation of Xenforo 2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,408
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
  8. Rake-GH

Jul 29, 2019
    USA
    Ratings:
    +26
    Local Time:
    I would like to contribute more suggested changes to the guides and tutorials to make it as easy as possible to learn Centmin Mod. The amount of content here is huge and you've done an amazing job cataloging everything. I would like to contribute suggestions that will hopefully make your job easier so you don't have to answer so many questions :)

Is the best way to do that by posting my suggestions here?

• Like Like x 1
  9. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,408
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x