Join the community today
Register Now

Benchmarks Linode Benchmark London 1CPU 2GB Ram

Discussion in 'Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting' started by cooper, Jan 29, 2018.

1. cooper

cooper New Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Ratings:
    +13
    Local Time:
    5:02 AM
    I'm using one of these instances to currently host a production site. It's a 1 CPU, 2GB instance in London with 30GB SSD. I've had good uptime with Linode and can have no complaints in that regard. But I'm always looking out for a faster, better deal.

I've already benchmarked OVH Gravelines with a similar spec instance. I've also benchmarked Google Cloud Platform which is a good read if you like a comedy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A time of 1680 seconds is not what I was expecting and I'm surprised. It's actually the slowest of the 7 benchmarks I ran today with OVH and Google Cloud Platform.

At this price point, I've not seen anything that beats the Hetzner and HostUS benchmarks, but I would like to test VMHaus and Inception Hosting at some point as I've heard good things.

2. bassie

bassie Active Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Ratings:
    +569
    Local Time:
    6:02 AM
    Thanks for all you benchmarks.
    I find it very difficult to interpret VPS benchmarks.
    Because as enduser you are dependent on the crowds on the host.

If you are lucky enough to come to a new, empty node.
    Everything looks much brighter than that you come to a full node.

For example Hetzner Cloud is fresh.
    Regardless of a few test users that have remained. There is almost no one.
    I'm curious what it looks like in months.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cooper

cooper New Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Ratings:
    +13
    Local Time:
    Yep, no one has a crystal ball. The Linode above could have been in a bad neighbourhood which is why it took an age to install PHP. Or maybe this is typical for this product. My lack of experience comes into play here. I don't really know what a good benchmark score is for the sort of VPS instances in my price range. The guidelines state somewhere that something between 900-1200 is decent. However, I look at the Hetzner scores and see numbers like 1081 seconds for an instance that costs roughly £2.10 per month. When you compare that to 1680 seconds for my Linode instance that costs 3 times more then it makes you think.

But does it make a difference to my end goal of serving wordpress pages quickly to a lot of users? I guess so but for me these scores can only really act as a basic filter for thought like - "Oh, that's quite good I'll need to try them out and see if they're any good".

When I've done some more reading and have a better understanding I'll run the centminmodbench.sh script .

4. bassie

bassie Active Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Ratings:
    +569
    Local Time:
    6:02 AM
    About Hetzner Cloud.
    To bad that it is only in Germany.
    Instead of 2 centers in Germany, I would have preferred 1 elsewhere.
    Apart from that.

Datacentre Nuremberg and Falkenstein are in the same region also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cooper

cooper New Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Ratings:
    +13
    Local Time:
    This is actually why I'm leaning towards trying VMHaus first. They do London and LA currently but I think they have 2 more US locations opening with one on the East coast which would be good.

Only downside is the $7 instance only has 30GB storage and the next instance is $14 with 50GB storage. They could do with something round the $10 mark. I did find a review on Lowend Talk and it seems thorough and positive.

6. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,459
    Local Time:
    2:02 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Cpu clock speed and how many cpu threads factor into speed of nginx and php installs. HostUS has much higher cpu clock speed.

Also to clarify are you using centmin mod betainstaller.sh or php7 default betainstaller7.sh for initial installation? Php7 installs are a much slower process than php 5.6 as post install time thread is mainly showing betainstaller.sh php 5.6 installs

• Like Like x 1
  7. cooper

cooper New Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Ratings:
    +13
    Local Time:
    I'm using betainstaller.sh php 5.6

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,459
    Local Time:
    2:02 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    k.. just remember betainstaller7.sh with php 7 default can take an extra 20-40% longer than php 5.6 !

• Like Like x 1