Join the community today
Register Now

Sysadmin Lean Private Cloud Storage Solution

Discussion in 'System Administration' started by digij, Oct 16, 2018.

1. digij

digij New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Ratings:
    +10
    Local Time:
    8:43 AM
    Any ideas for a 'lean' cloud storage SW?

My setup / use case:
    • Storage VPS w/ 2 TB
    • Centmin ;)
    • Storing the following files
      • Secondary backup location for project backups (AES encrypted)
      • My private photo collection
      • Some various files e.g. office docs
      • Overall no 'high security' content
    • Single user setup, no complicated role model or other 'bullshit' needed - more a file management GUI
    Everyone knows OwnCloud + NextCloud but for my use case those solutions feel like bloatware.

I'm looking for a slick private cloud storage SW which is actually more like a file management GUI (upload, download, preview incl. thumbnails).

Here is what is on my shortlist...
    While there is a HUGE community around NextCloud / OwnCloud I'm a little worried that this SW might not be actively maintained in the long run. According to my research there is only a small community.

Any ideas for alternatives from the Centmin Community? Thanks in advance - appreciated!

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,809
    Local Time:
    5:43 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Probably easier to not host it yourself. I am using OneDrive cloud storage with boxcryptor windows client to encrypt uploads. Using OneDrive as I have 230GB of free storage due to all the offers and bonuses which added up. That's for local laptop/PC.

For server backups I use Amazon S3 buckets and have ~2.7TB of backups there at around US$33/month (thanks to using cheaper S3 storage classes). For that kind of high availability/uptime Amazon S3 has for that amount of data and price, hard to beat :) I use S3 Browser windows client gui to look at/download manage S3 buckets contents locally/remotely :)

3. hardousse

hardousse Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Sweden
    Ratings:
    +48
    Local Time:
    10:43 AM
    1.11.*
    10.1*
    Hi @eva2000 just question you still use some thing for backup I mean onedrive and amzone s3? Do you use offline backup in case of something ?

4. JJC84

JJC84 Ad astra per aspera Premium Member

Jan 31, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +168
    Local Time:
    2:43 AM
    1.15.x
    10.x.x
    Speaking for myself and not @eva2000 I personally feel that offline backup may be nearing overkill these days for things like web servers which need to be connected to essentially function. This is the reason why based on the durability of Amazon S3 buckets.

Objects are stored in across multiple devices in multiple facilities in Amazon S3 regions. Amazon S3 is designed to provide 99.999999999% durability of objects over a given year. This durability level corresponds to an average annual expected loss of 0.000000001% of objects. That translates to the loss of one object for every 10000 objects stored every 10 million years. The chances of Amazon losing your data in S3 are basically 0 which the most realistic threats being those of cataclysmic economic and/or political events.

5. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,809
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Define offline :) All systems have internet connectivity. I usually have local backups on same server + remote backups via Amazon S3/Backblaze and also via dedicated backup servers with rsnapshot pull backups. Backups are made every 2, 3, 4, 8, 12, 24 hrs usually and there's also web host native backup with DigitalOcean, Linode and Upcloud etc. So there's at least 2-4 copies of backups at all times all on servers with internet connectivity.

True though it isn't just about the backup because you could have corrupted data that gets backed up. So data integrity is also a factor regardless if it's offline or online based.

6. hardousse

hardousse Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Sweden
    Ratings:
    +48
    Local Time:
    1.11.*
    10.1*
    thank you @JJC84 @eva2000 for reply I have only one backup in dedicated server with raid for all my server I think I will make second backup on S3 for better integrity,I am looking for good strategy for backup my server and data.

7. pamamolf

pamamolf Premium Member Premium Member

May 31, 2014
    Ratings:
    +712
    Local Time:
    Nginx-1.17.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    @eva2000

How do you move your backups to Backblaze?

I mean connecting from Backblaze to server or from server to Backblaze?

Method? Rsync?

8. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,809
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Use backblaze API and custom written backup scripts I wrote

9. JJC84

Jan 31, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +168
    Local Time:
    1.15.x
    10.x.x
    Do you think I could have a look at that? I use Backblaze as well.

10. JJC84

Jan 31, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +168
    Local Time:
    1.15.x
    10.x.x
    You are correct and the durability has to do with that as well. I oversimplified it but I can definitely say that I trust Amazon with my data.

11. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,809
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
  12. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,809
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    You must be on the wrong forum then, Centmin Mod LEMP stack which this forum is community support forum is for better performance without the added cost of such managed providers. However, you can't just rely on managed hosting providers' backups. You need your own external backups so all you doing is adding the cost of managed provider + your additional backup costs which would be more than just self hosting your own site on Centmin Mod LEMP stack + external backups :)

There is nothing wrong with starting off with managed hosting - especially for noobs. I did when I first got online in 2000. But eventually, you need to learn these skills if you want to improve and/or save $$$. Even if you hire someone to manage your servers, having basic knowledge will save you $$$ and time to sort through whether or not the person you hire is worth the money or just taking you for a ride ! Centmin Mod LEMP stack is the next level step after managed hosting and being open source code, if you have the know-how you can expand, modify or customise it for your own specific requirements :) This is where managed hosting will limit you as you can't really break out of their provided server stack software bundle as they control what you are allowed to and not allowed to install, change or customise. With managed hosting setups like the option you mentioned, you're paying more just to be locked into one way of doing things server-wise.

That's why I developed Centmin Mod LEMP stack for my own needs to save money and time and scale servers for performance and be able to customise it for my own needs. Sure there is still some level of lock in if you don't know how to customise Centmin Mod LEMP stack yourself but not as much as a managed provider would have. I personally have 160+ servers running Centmin Mod LEMP stack now self hosted with VPS and dedicated servers and I am saving literally $10,000s of dollars each year by NOT using managed hosting providers ! :D

Centmin Mod LEMP stack is use by 10% of largest Xenforo forums online and many large Invision Board and vBulletin forums ranging up to 60,000+ concurrent users and 100+ million page views/month and some of the Alexa Top 10,000 ranked sites - including Adult sites due to it's performance and scalability :)

Example, my Wordpress blog at https://servermanager.guide/about/ is hosted on Centmin Mod LEMP stack installed $5/month Upcloud KVM VPS where Upcloud has better performance than Linode and DigitalOcean anyway. See 13x way VPS benchmarks I did for Upcloud, DigitalOcean, Linode, Vultr and Hetzner at https://community.centminmod.com/th...talocean-vs-linode-vs-vultr-vs-hetzner.17742/

Also Centmin Mod LEMP stack has faster PHP 7+ performance in terms of php-fpm than any other php-fpm binary/distribution and can be tuned to be even faster via Profile Guided Optimizations. See benchmarks at
    example comparing Remi YUM repo PHP binaries with Centmin Mod PHP binaries with and without Profile Guided Optimizations

detailed-benchmark-phpbenchmarks-chart-01.png