Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Register Now

Sysadmin Is there a downtime monitoring service that calls you?

Discussion in 'System Administration' started by deltahf, Jan 6, 2017.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Active Member

May 25, 2014
    Ratings:
    +244
    Local Time:
    11:13 AM
    Yea I have all mine setup as http.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Curious#92761

Curious#92761 New Member

May 29, 2017
    Ratings:
    +8
    Local Time:
    6:13 AM
    Hello all -

I came across this thread while googling for the same (so I signed up to reply!).

A phone alert service is also something I need. I run several centOS servers and would like to find a cost effective method.... I use Uptime Robot and contacted their support (April 2017) to ask if they planned any phone call alerts - their answer was yes - they are planning to do so in the next month! Now, don't hold your breath... but it would certainly be a useful tool and easier than moving across to another alerting system - save a heap of time! :)

In terms of other alternatives, I would be interested to learn more about IFTTT - anyone have any guide on how to set that up on CentOS ?

@elargento yes, if you have a ping set up, that's not going to tell you if a website (resource) is not loading - you should set up an HTTP alert for a site on that server too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,613
    Local Time:
    3:13 AM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    good news for Uptime Robot new feature thanks for sharing @Curious#92761

IFTTT is more confusing, if you sign up for pushover.net and register with your mobile as discussed in this thread, you can use your pushover email for regular uptime/downtime notifications which will push alert notify you on your mobile :)

4. Curious#92761

Curious#92761 New Member

May 29, 2017
    Ratings:
    +8
    Local Time:
    Thanks. I'm not in any need of more push notifications - i need a phone call to get me out of bed ;-)

I'm keeping my eye on Uptime Robot blog :)

5. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,613
    Local Time:
    3:13 AM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    see https://community.centminmod.com/th...oring-service-that-calls-you.9973/#post-42713

6. deltahf

deltahf Premium Member Premium Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +244
    Local Time:
    12:13 PM
    Awesome, welcome. I love it when Google searches bring people together. :D
    Great news, thanks for sharing. I really don't understand why this wouldn't be a ubiquitous feature of uptime monitoring services... Everybody just seems to gloss over the "sleeping problem".
    I currently have a (free) calling system in place with Uptime Robot and IFTT. My server has gone down since I set it up several times, and it has worked. Here is how to set it up:
    1. Create an IFTT account or sign in to your own and create a new applet using the Maker Webhooks service. It lets you trigger any IFTT action by simply sending a request to a unique URL that they provide for you.
    2. Proceed through the IFTT applet setup and configure it to call your number when the applet runs; this should be pretty much self-explanatory. You can even configure what IFTT tells you when you answer the call, ha.
    3. Once you have the Maker Webhook URL for your applet (I would recommend loading it in your browser to test, it should call your phone), sign in to your Uptime Robot account. Add a "Web Hook" alert contact to your site — here is the documentation.
    That's it! I also have the IFTT phone number stored as a "favorite" in my iPhone, so it will bypass the "Do Not Disturb" setting.

This is cool, but it isn't perfect. The hook is only triggered once, when the server first goes down. An ideal solution would keep calling me at certain intervals, like every five minutes, until the server came back up or I answered and performed some kind of acknowledgement of the alert. I hope Uptime Robot's implementation has something like that.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Curious#92761

Curious#92761 New Member

May 29, 2017
    Ratings:
    +8
    Local Time:
    I think because many companies - especially bigger ones - have full time server monitors ?

Thank you - I will go through this and try it :)

8. inthecloudblog

inthecloudblog Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +83
    Local Time:
    2:13 PM
    Unrelated but I make use of a roosters ring tone to wake me up as I'm drowsy as someone can be because of sleeping pills.
    Back on topic :I couldn't really wake up take command of something in the middle of the night (because of the aforementioned).
    In fact I could produce havoc lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Kintaro

Kintaro Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Italy
    Ratings:
    +14
    Local Time:
    6:13 PM
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10