Discover Centmin Mod today
Register Now

Upgrade is it possible to limit cpu usage per website ?

Discussion in 'Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions' started by idanisur, Aug 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. idanisur

idanisur New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Ratings:
    +5
    Local Time:
    7:07 PM
    Please fill in any relevant information that applies to you: latest beta. Everything updated today.

i have 8 websites on 2.49 euro hetzner cloud server. everything is fine. most of the time server load is lower than 40 %. but sometimes its goes to 100% when i am doing a backup , restore, etc . what happens to other website visitors if one of my site taking the full CPU? so I think it will be better if it is possible to set 70% max cpu usage per website. at least other wesites will get 30% CPU.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +841
    Local Time:
    9:07 AM
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    I hear your problem, not exactly sure how you'd limit the CPU usage per site unless you were using cPanel or software where you could limit each account. Regardless of what you do, you're still going to have sites go down if they are using 100% of their allotted CPU. Maybe someone else has a method for doing this in Centmin Mod and can help you.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't understand people's logic in having a super cheap server running multiple sites. You have 8 sites, you don't make $10 a month on all those sites... enough to pay for a $10 server? You'd rather spend time trying to figure out how you can stretch out a 2.49 server's CPU usage? The amount of time you spent trying to figure this out or even typing this thread cost you more than 2.49 in time.

Take a look at lowendbox.com, there are always deals on there for VPS which have more than the Hetzner 2.49 VPS.

Here is an example: The NYC Launch Sale, from SSD Nodes

At ssdnodes you can get a server with 16GB of RAM and multiple CPUs for $6.53 a month or $79 a year. They are in NYC, but they just had the same deal for EU. For $4 more you 8x your RAM and 4x your CPU.

One thing you can never buy... more of your time. Just spend a little more and upgrade to a little bit better server. Then you won't have to worry about this.

was penny-wise and pound-foolish

Hope everything works out for you. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. idanisur

idanisur New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Ratings:
    +5
    Local Time:
    7:07 PM
    Thanks for your valuable comment. yes time is more valuable than money , but most of the website is not profit , visitor is super low (40% load), and those are not mine. only 1 is mine. so i am looking for this cpu limit solution. i think its not possible. ok then i will buy new host if visitors increase. lastly thanks for the ssd nodes offer

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +841
    Local Time:
    9:07 AM
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    If you have a lot of non-profit sites, set up a gofundme account and collect donations to pay for the server. You shouldn't have a hard time getting the amount you need for the server. Just put a link to your gofundme on each of the websites. People love giving money to help non-profits. Since you only need a little bit of money, it shouldn't be that hard to raise $10 a month.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,236
    Local Time:
    11:07 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Can't really do per site cpu load on centmin mod out of the box, though there are a few creative ways to implement sort of such if you know how to. But it won't help if you are in fact starved for cpu resources - which I think most folks overlook. When you spec and decide on cpu specs or number of cores for VPS, it should be to handle you peak usage requirements and not just your average daily requirements. Peak means including backup/restore routines.

Centmin Mod dbbackup.sh script sort of helps in it uses ionice/nice to balance out disk I/O and cpu utilisation - so you can read up on nice/ionice commands and see if your backup routines can incorporate it.

• Like Like x 2