Discover Centmin Mod today
Register Now

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by wmtech, Sep 30, 2017.

1. wmtech

wmtech New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Ratings:
    +9
    Local Time:
    7:19 AM
    I registered some time ago and since then tried to answer to several threads just to get an error message...

So this is my forced introduction thread here. :)

See our homepage for what we do: https://wmtech.net/

Our day-to-day work is server administration. We started to try out centminmod and liked that it is well maintained and performance optimized out of the box. We didn't like the non standard file locations, but could work around it for our backup solution and partition scheme.

We use to install centminmod with a centralized, protected "tools" directory to house all the administration and information interfaces which by default are created in virtual root (and some additional we need and install manually). We have to move those after each nginx/php update. Would like a config switch to suppress the creation of those files in virtual root. ;)

We also install the netdata software for live monitoring at each server together with the check_mk agent we use for monitoring, archiving and alerting.

So, centminmod currently looks like the almost perfect solution for servers used to serve web sites. We hope that it will be maintained for a long time (we had bad experiences with other solutions before).

Thank you for creating such a helpful product and your time to support it! We certainly will donate and/or buy Premium Membership.

A good day to everybody!

Frank

• Like Like x 1
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,275
    Local Time:
    4:19 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    welcome @wmtech / Frank to Centmin Mod Community. Interesting to hear how you use Centmin Mod - so feedback is appreciated :)

There's 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod just in case ;)

You might want to try the 123.09beta01 build as it will be next stable release and well has alot of improvements if you check 2nd post change log at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing. And you can share your initial install times here.

If you use Putty SSH client, for best Centmin Mod experience set your windows setting configuration to at least 160 columns, 70 rows and 256000 scrollback buffer size.

Threads you might want to participate in ;)

Threads & Info To Bookmark

Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:

Centmin Mod Insights Forum

The Centmin Mod Insights forums digs deeper into the inner workings of Centmin Mod so some useful threads in this forum include:

Security Related Developments

A few security related developments you might be interested reading about

Premium Membership

Centmin Mod Donations

You now can show your love and support for Centmin Mod via

3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,275
    Local Time:
    4:19 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Yeah Centmin Mod's structure some of it is legacy from original Centmin Project which I forked and created Centmin Mod from. Sort of stuck with the structure and figured probably best as some folks without reading install page might install Centmin Mod on existing LEMP/LAMP stack setup server instead of a fresh virgin OS and end up nuking or messing with their existing data and LEMP/LAMP stack setups and being royally screwed :)

Much appreciated. I eat my own dog food and use Centmin Mod so it's pretty much in my own self interest to keep Centmin Mod up to date and secure :D That and I one of those people who always want the latest versions, latest tech and stuff and not satisfied in waiting - hence why Centmin Mod was born/evolved :)