Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Register Now

Hello, new (possible) Centmin Mod user here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ritsu, Dec 3, 2017.

1. ritsu

ritsu New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    4:16 AM
    Hello,

I am planning to move a handful of sites off of cPanel and came across Centmin Mod, and I am very impressed with the community and the product here!

I have a few questions if it is okay to ask here. I was originally planning to move to an Ubuntu server with all traffic going to an lxc container running haproxy, which would direct traffic to other nginx containers on the same VPS as well as handle SSL termination / decryption.

The reason for multiple nginx containers is that some sites don't require PHP or anything fancy and are just serving static assets, so these sites could be served by a minimal nginx install. Other sites that have more complex requirements would be served by a container running Centmin Mod. Finally, the rare site that requires something not available in Centmin Mod could have their own custom container.

My question is if this is a sane idea, or if there are problems with it that I'm not aware of? Also, is it okay to install a CentOS container with Centmin Mod on an Ubuntu machine?

Sorry to ask technical questions in my introduction post. Anyway, it is nice to meet you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,419
    Local Time:
    7:16 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    welcome @ritsu to Centmin Mod Community and Centmin Mod. For asking pre-install, install or upgrade questions you'd want to post at Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions :) ;)

As to what I do, is if a site(s) security is important, I usually have 1 site to 1x VPS/server. You can probably have all static sites on one VPS and non-static sites on another VPS. Centmin Mod isn't Docker container aware so I wouldn't try it though Docker can be installed on CentOS 7 based Centmin Mod server and I do use Docker for some stuff on test Centmin Mod servers. Centmin Mod has Centmin Mod Docker Development forums but not much activity there.

There's 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod ;)

You might want to try the 123.09beta01 build as it will be next stable release and well has alot of improvements if you check 2nd post change log at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing. And you can share your initial install times here.

If you use Putty SSH client, for best Centmin Mod experience set your windows setting configuration to at least 160 columns, 70 rows and 256000 scrollback buffer size.

Threads you might want to participate in ;)

Threads & Info To Bookmark

Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:

Centmin Mod Insights Forum

The Centmin Mod Insights forums digs deeper into the inner workings of Centmin Mod so some useful threads in this forum include:

Security Related Developments

A few security related developments you might be interested reading about

Premium Membership

Centmin Mod Donations

You now can show your love and support for Centmin Mod via

3. Colin

Colin Premium Member Premium Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Sheffield UK
    Ratings:
    +87
    Local Time:
    9:16 AM
    1.11.#
    MariaDB 10.1.#
    Hi @ritsu, welcome. I've been using centmin for a while now. I forget when exactly.
    I also have one foot in the container/deployment game with various sites needing static to whatever the latest javascript crazy tool there is. Locally I only develop with containers now.

The idea of haproxy to route to multiple containers doing nginx statics, feels like a shoe that does not quite fit. I mean, I get it I totally do! IF everything is automatically provisioned it makes sense.

Any new projects, I'm trying to go down the docker path first. But docker in production isn't as easy as centmin is... not by a long way. k8s or swarm or whatever else... it's a wild playing field.

I have one 'cheap-ish' vps that I run statics out to. Each one can be setup with letsencrypt and it's own ftpuser/pass. I can push to this from CI builds too. Not isolated container goodness... but stupidly simple to look after.

The only alternative I entertain for statics is the github/gitlab or keycdn hosted zone approach. Even these are more complex than a simple centmin menu combo for a new static site.

For anything php, I only use centmin now. I don't use php enough to know the in's and out's of it all. So for me a centmin box is a 'magic' black box with 24 menu options of time saving joy.

A happy compromise springs to mind. You could use centmin on the server as intended. Add to the server, docker. Then for each container/pair you would of planned to use haproxy in front of, you can use nginx instead. Any site that needs data, you have access to the base centmin mysql install; not containerised, and postgres isn't a huge reach.

For me, that gives me containers for ease and repeatable deployments, without ftp woes, for a little more config on nginx to map/manage ports. So centmin:nginx becomes your front of house. Does that make sense?

I'm not sure I'd go for a centminmod container, there is alot of processes spinning and the size of the volumes would add up. You'd definitely need to get into volumes too for the centmin config/logs/settings persistence.

Spin up a centos box, I used to only use ubuntu, then this project came along. It didn't take long to map apt-get to yum and the other paths/tools. For docker based hosts, I'm almost sold on core/rancher style os's. And for images themselves, alpine or something else; name escapes me, to keep the image size down. For example a HelloWorld ruby container ships around 700mb with default ruby:latest, with alpine we're down to 70ish.

If you're running two containers, booting two to replace two on deploy, keeping your last few for rollbacks... over 10, 20 sites that can really add up. I got quite a good way with Rancher and it runs along side centmin ok too ( if your box has the chops for it all )

I'd be really interested in your thoughts and ideas and how you proceed.

I'm half tempted to build the above idea just to do it now... it's better than paperwork!

Cheers,
    Colin.

ps the community is good too... quite enlightening!

4. Colin

Colin Premium Member Premium Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Sheffield UK
    Ratings:
    +87
    Local Time:
    9:16 AM
    1.11.#
    MariaDB 10.1.#
    Specifically, if you can get a container working with centmin, then yes centos on ubuntu is fine. Like wise ubuntu, alpine, suse etc will run in docker containers on centOs too.

The only exception I think is if you're container building site is x86 and your container production site is arm for example, that's where things will get messy.