Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Become a Member

Hello from Vegas and a Killer Benchmark

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Anthony, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Ratings:
    +9
    Local Time:
    5:07 AM
    Long time lurker few times tester.
    So with a new direction from some of my customers I have been on the hunt for a setup that just kicks some butt! I have used pretty much all the panels, and lamp, lemp setups out there many greatly successful, others total failures. Well low and behold I came back home. I can not show enough love for this project so with that here is my real world tests.

I keep reading about blobs, and blips, and this speed and that speed, well after years of shared hosting, vps, dedicated, to my own 10,000 sq ft DC, you can imagine I have been asked or heard darn near all the questions. Well with that I have also learned that the customers that are footing the bill, don't understand word one of anything technical they just want to know that their website will be up, and how much it costs. Which brings me back around to Centmin Mod. I have a small and new customer that says his current site ( Wordpress ) on avg is 3000 reqs/sec. Yes that's 259,200,000 hits a day. Real world on his stats is about 180,000,000 - 210,000,000 hits a day. NO I won't tell, don't ask. So anyways he is concerned about the pretty penny he is paying and wants a more affordable solution.

With that in mind I began to test different setups, lemp, lamp, centos-webpanel, vestacp, cPanel... Then I remembered this diamond from some time ago.

So firing up a 4GB VPS, 4CPU,RAID 10 SSD I installed CentOS 6.6 min, ( please note I did not apply my own tweaks yet ) installed Centmin Mod, then used the menu to install Wordpress. Once installed the only thing I did was turn on caching, yes that is it!

So I headed over to loader.io and began to test 1000 clients per second, 3000, 4000, and so on.

[​IMG]

Look at that, 8000 reqs/sec on a wordpress site with not one single drop or timeout. HOLY CRAP we found ourselves a winner!!
    Jumping to 9000 reqs/sec introduced a few timeouts, and some other hiccups but still holy cow!!

[​IMG]

So I can say I truly think we have found our solutions. Now yes this will be setup on more than a single vps, but case in point holy cow what an amazing solution this truly is.

Keep up the great work!!

Thanks,
    Anthony

• Like Like x 2
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +9,785
    Local Time:
    10:07 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    welcome @Anthony to Centmin Mod Community and welcome back to Centmin Mod LEMP stack :D

Always love it when folks test, benchmark and provide before and after usage results switching to Centmin Mod :)

Believe it or not there's even more performant Wordpress caching option you can try too. So would be interesting to see you loader.io benchmarks under Redis level caching outlined below :)

Cache Enable Alternative to WP Super Cache Plugin

There's also a similar Wordpress plugin created by KeyCDN folks called, Cache Enabler. It's Nginx configuration options are virtually identical to WP Super Cache for nginx vhost configuration level. The difference is the PHP coded side of Cache Enabler WP Plugin seems alot easier to setup and less finicky than WP Super Cache when initially enabling it and the options are more simplified. As such for testing purposes, I have added optional support for Cache Enabler in centmin.sh menu option 22 ONLY for Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 builds (not 123.08 stable). For 123.08 stable Centmin Mod, to switch from WP Super Cache to Cache Enabler, follow the manual instructions outlined here instead.

Redis Nginx Level Cache + Redis Object Cache WP Plugin

However, there's an even more performant option alternative to WP Super Cache and Cache Enabler. That is provided you first have Redis server installed and configured. The Redis Nginx level cache + Redis object cache will be much faster than WP Super Cache or Cache Enabler. From testing with the Redis caching combination, it is at least 45% faster than WP Super Cache (Cache Enabler would be same as WP Super Cache as the underlying Nginx configuration level setup is virtually the same for setting up static page level caching).

Also threads you might want to participate in ;)
    Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:
    Premium Membership

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +9,785
    Local Time:
    10:07 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Oh one thing 10GB disk space might not be enough long term for Centmin Mod, check download page for system requirements Download - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS

4. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Ratings:
    +9
    Local Time:
    5:07 AM
    Morning!

Thank you for that new plugin, I will have to note and see what some tests show me.
    If the customer goes for our offer I will post the new results.

Thanks so much!
    Anthony

• Like Like x 1