Discover Centmin Mod today
Register Now

Email Getting SSH login alert in spam

Discussion in 'Domains, DNS, Email & SSL Certificates' started by Nitin, May 13, 2018.

1. Nitin

Nitin New Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Ratings:
    +4
    Local Time:
    7:11 PM
    Hey there, I am forwarding the mail from root file to my email address. It comes with "root@centmin.localdomain" and comes in spam folder. And sometimes mail comes "undelivered mail return to sender. This message does not meet IPv6 guidelines"

1. My wordpress is not sending new registration confirmation mail (wordpress@domain.com). How to change it to noreply@domain.com for mail sent by wordpress.
    2. Is there any way to get SSH alerts in inbox and also change the email address (i.e. root@centmin.localdomain) to something else.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,792
    Local Time:
    11:41 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    It all starts with Getting Started Guide step 1 which outlines critical steps in setting up properly your main hostname's DNS etc. You must setup a hostname.domain.com for main hostname and setup proper DNS A, SPF/TXT records (and DNS AAAA if you use IPv6 on server)
    Then follow steps outlined in Getting Started Guide step 8 which link to Email - Steps to ensure your site/server email doesn't end up in spam inboxes and make sure your main hostname and domain name have their respective PTR, SPF, DKIM and DMARC DNS records setup.

To change where root user emails go like SSH alerts etc, see steps outlined in Getting Started Guide step 18 for setting up /root/.forward file. That only changes where emails are sent to not what email address it's sent from. Instead of changing from email, it's best to just filter the emails from your email client via 'email to' address keyword.

If you use Gmail or Google Apps based email for the listing in your /root/.forward file, you can make it even easier to setup a filtered label by using email alias. If your Gmail address is yourusername@gmail.com, you can append +label to your username and still get emails but then you can filter based on the that specific delivered to address. For example, yourusername+linode1@gmail.com emails with an alias of +linode1, will still go to yourusername@gmail.com but the delivered to address you receive from will be listed as yourusername+linode1@gmail.com. So you can filter based on yourusername+linode1@gmail.com.

That's a wordpress setup issue so best to ask on wordpress forums like WordPress Development Stack Exchange. But the from email is tied to your wordpress administrator's email by default. There's many wordpress plugins that can change it - just search google for 'wordpress change from email'

And if you didn't realise, Getting Started Guide is must do steps right after Centmin Mod install Getting Started Guide - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS ;)