Join the community today
Register Now

FTP user for XF dev

Discussion in 'Other Centmin Mod Installed software' started by sepulchre, Nov 28, 2018.

1. sepulchre

sepulchre Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Ratings:
    +21
    Local Time:
    10:56 PM
    Hey,

I want to give a XF developer ftp access to my server, so he can change/delete/edit files.

I gave him the ftp user centminmod created automatically but he said it doesn't have the rights edit files.

So how can I make that ftp user have all rights? Or create a new user with all rights?

2. sepulchre

sepulchre Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Ratings:
    +21
    Local Time:
    Code:
    pure-pw useradd YOURFTPUSERNAME -u nginx -g nginx -d /home/nginx/domains/YOURDOMAINVHOST
    service pure-ftpd restart
    Doing this and I could add a pureftpd user as it seems but it didn't have write permissions.

I think doing this below fixed the permissions problems.

Code:
    chown -R nginx:nginx /home/nginx/domains/newdomain.com/public
    Is this the correct way of doing it?

3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,532
    Local Time:
    7:56 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    how was the original xenforo files uploaded ? via pure-ftpd user or via root user SFTP ?

if via root user SFTP then yes chown is needed to make sure nginx user/group permissions as per step 2 of getting started guide instructions Getting Started Guide - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS

• Like Like x 1
  4. sepulchre

sepulchre Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Ratings:
    +21
    Local Time:
    They were uploaded via the root user. I always use the root user.

I thought the automatically created pure-ftpd user, which was created when we installed centmin mod and followed the steps, will have automatically all the correct permissions. But not the case.

From what I understand, I have to chown always after I did sth. with root user, so other ftp users are able to "write" permissionwise?

It took me quite a time to find out what was the problem honestly. Like for directories and folders we can do chmod and give permissions and see what permissions are there. But for users I couldn't find a damn one-liner which helps me to give the "write" permission for his directories.

Anyway, thank you.

5. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,532
    Local Time:
    7:56 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    pure-ftpd user will upload files owned by correct nginx user/group and your devs won't have issues if files uploaded via pure-ftpd user

but if you upload files as root user via SFTP, then files are owned by root user/group and pure-ftpd user won't have permissions to manage such uploaded files.

• Like Like x 1