Join the community today
Register Now

Wordpress Fast Wordpress Website ?

Discussion in 'Blogs & CMS usage' started by abakisensoy, Jan 18, 2017.

1. JarylW

JarylW Active Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Singapore
    Ratings:
    +102
    Local Time:
    2:45 PM
    Letsencrypt SSL is free

2. abakisensoy

abakisensoy Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ratings:
    +2
    Local Time:
    4:45 PM
    latest
    nice. are there any tutorial for adding SSL to WP on centminmod?

3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,794
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    There's generally 3 ways of setting up HTTPS SSL certificate for Centmin Mod Nginx HTTP/2 based HTTPS

Method 1. The traditional way via centmin.sh menu option 2, 22 and selecting yes to self-signed ssl certificates first. Then converting the self-signed ssl certificate to paid or free (Letsencrypt) web browser trusted SSL certificates outlined at How to switch self-signed SSL certificate to paid SSL certificate ? You would still need to follow the same steps outlined at Nginx SPDY SSL Configuration for obtaining and purchasing the paid SSL certificate and most important part is the concatenation of the SSL provider provided filesto create the mentioned /usr/local/nginx/conf/ssl/domaincom/ssl-unified.crt and /usr/local/nginx/conf/ssl/domaincom/ssl-trusted.crtfiles referenced in your Nginx SSL vhost config file.

You may need to also decide if you want to enable HTTP to HTTPS redirect outlined at How to force redirect from HTTP:// to HTTPS:// ?

If you didn't answer yes at time of initial nginx vhost creation to self-signed ssl certificates, you can manually setup the self-signed ssl certificate via the vhost generator by checking self-signed ssl box and enter a domain name. This will outline instructions for manually creating and setting up self-signed ssl certificate and nginx vhost settings. Then for web browser trusted ssl certificates you switch follow - How to switch self-signed SSL certificate to paid SSL certificate ?.

Method 2. Using and testing Centmin Mod 123.09beta01's new addons/acmetool.sh addon which is still in beta testing only for integrating Letsencrypt SSL certificates. And has both auto and manual methods.

Method 3. Fully manual method for free Letsencrypt SSL certificates for existing non-HTTPS Nginx vhost sites migration to HTTPS as outlined at Migrating Existing Nginx Vhost From HTTP to HTTP/2 based HTTPS With Letsencrypt SSL Certificates

4. DerGelbe

DerGelbe New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    Do you have CloudFlare? It's a good and largely free CDN - and they offer free SSL too!

Anyway, I hope I can jump in here a little bit and learn something on the way. I am in a similar position, have a fresh VPS, installed Centmin, did a PHP7, and did a 22 to install Wordpress (I plugin free wordpress would be nice though). I changed the theme and on webpagetest.org I am in the range 1.5-3sec, similar on Pingdom. I consider that OK, but similar to what I get on shared webspace.

I did no other Centmin fiddling after that.

My question is, what Centmin setups/tweaks are useful to increase performance?

(I have to admit that the amount of information here is overwhelming and I simple look for one or two simple tweaks that can make the site load a little bit faster, even though at this point it ain't too bad.)

5. abakisensoy

abakisensoy Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ratings:
    +2
    Local Time:
    latest
    @DerGelbe ;

if you dont use any WP plugin you dont have to do much thing to increase your WP performance because it should be fast enough already :)

if you have many pictures on your WP i highly suggest you to obtain CDN Service. I can't recommend any CDN service because i havent try any of it. i built my own CDN network and i can say it is realy make your website fast.

6. RB1

RB1 Active Member

Nov 11, 2016
    California
    Ratings:
    +122
    Local Time:
    11:45 PM
    Nginx 1.18.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    I'm trying out Cloudflare for DNS + Wordpress KeyCDN Cache Enabler + CDN Enabler with Cloudfront + PageSpeed
    :cool:

7. DerGelbe

DerGelbe New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    I think maybe some sort of cache maybe can help a bit. I also did some JPEG improvements (compressing and make them progressive). Cloudflare helps a lot (I think), since I use Cloudflare already I will not go for KeyCDN (it's not free anyway).

Here are the slow bits:
    First byte in
    Slow fonts.gstatic.com
    Adsense (of course!)

I mean, I don't count milliseconds, anything below 2-3 Sec is fine.

I just did another test with US servers with my EU VPS: (no adsense and no google fonts, 4 WP images)

1.24sec - webpagetest.org (0.63 test via DE)
    1.39sec - tools.pingdom.com (0.85 test via SE)
    1.30sec - gtmetrix.com

This are really good numbers. Seems to depend on time of day, server mood and weather too. I mean the times fluctuate quite a bit.

8. DerGelbe

DerGelbe New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    Does PageSpeed makes a difference? It needs V1.2.3-Eva2000.09 beta though, right?

9. JarylW

JarylW Active Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Singapore
    Ratings:
    +102
    Local Time:
    Yes I use cloudflare for every project (if not the CDN, DNS at least), and I know about their flexible SSL.

To increase performance:

1) Minimise asset payload (remove uncessary css/js by modifying theme, optimize image)
    2) static page caching , you can cache to tmpfs (memory) for better performance
    3) use cdn for assets.

10. DerGelbe

DerGelbe New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    I'm looking for some Centmin speed tips. At WordPress I will look later. So far I have just a test site setup. My production sizes are still on shared hosting.

11. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,794
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Centmin Mod base LEMP stack is optimised out of the box for server hardware/specs detected. Any further web app (wordpress) specific optimisations are left to end user :) i.e. cdn etc

12. RB1

RB1 Active Member

Nov 11, 2016
    California
    Ratings:
    +122
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.18.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    Hmm..interesting. Does CMM auto optimize when I upgrade my VPS (resize Linode with more RAM, CPU, etc) or do I need to do a fresh install for it to detect this?

13. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,794
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    not for everything it doesn't on vps resizes as some folks might have already done custom changes to their configs and would like to keep their custom settings and not want Centmin Mod messing with them all the time :)

14. RB1

RB1 Active Member

Nov 11, 2016
    California
    Ratings:
    +122
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.18.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    I guess when it comes time for a server upgrade I will have no issue with installing from scratch again.
    It's good for experience...maybe this time I won't have ANY problems (...IPv6 config) :ROFLMAO::LOL:

15. DerGelbe

DerGelbe New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    I like that. Thanks for making that clear!

16. JarylW

JarylW Active Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Singapore
    Ratings:
    +102
    Local Time:

You should eventually experiment with tweaking values. Tools such as mysqltuner will provide some hints. It doesn't make sense to reinstall on every upgrade, especially if you are able to 'just' upsize on the fly..

17. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,794
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Yup tweaking is part trial & error :)