Learn about Centmin Mod LEMP Stack today
Become a Member

Wordpress Fast Method Cache

Discussion in 'Blogs & CMS usage' started by KinderOvO, Nov 7, 2017.

1. KinderOvO

KinderOvO Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    1:35 PM
    Hi, Has anyone done the cache benchmarks in any way? If so, which ones?
    - fewer errors.
    - less cpu consumption
    - faster

Because I have a wordpress website with average 800 pages per second (I found this data in the analytics to the right of the statistics)

I am currently using redis full object cache, clear cache once a day after posting.

I have no problem making all static content, I just want to know what best way for those who have a lot of hits, since I am with almost 2 million `unique` per day.

"my website is adult"

I thought of changing to some of the technologies below, the only part of my website that does not work cache and the part of ratings and views that counts how many visits the post had and how many votes it had.

I would like to know the experience of you, about the options below.

1 - Nginx + Varnish Memory cache
    2 - Nginx + Nginx purge cache
    3 - Nginx + Redis full page cache
    4 - Sugestions another solutions

Thanks attention.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,308
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    No such thing as method 2 nginx purge cache isn't a caching method.

In context of Wordpress caching.

A.
    fastest but most problematic with most amount of work and constant fine tuning = nginx + proxy_cache (static) + fastcgi_cache (dynamic) or nginx and varnish caching (default varnish cache out of box won't cut it so needs customised tailored vcl rules/config for your web apps' static and dynamic assets). Higher chance of revealing private user/logged in data to guest/visitors if not careful. But with right configuration allows caching of both logged in and logged out/guest caching if done right. Just installing Varnish Cache without proper vcl configuration won't do much and 90% of tutorials out there only configure for guest caching not logged in users.

B. redis caching at nginx level can be faster but like varnish cache and nginx fastcgi_cache + nginx proxy_cache needs fine tuning and deep understanding of your web app and it's plugins to get right i.e. woocommerce etc. So can be problematic too. Most configs are for guest caching only.

C. keycdn cache enabler wp plugin - better version of wp super cache for full page static caching of wordpress. Least problematic and closest to set and forget with maybe some tuning needed depending on wp plugins and site configuration. Config is for guest caching only.

And regardless of caching method, having right server(s) hardware and configuration and LEMP stack and system TCP level configurations to handle the traffic is a must otherwise regardless of caching used, it won't scale. 2 million unique visitors/day is definitely a multi server configuration requirement. Most I've ever had to deal with for my paying consult clients was around 550,000 unique ip visitors/day pushing around 14,000 requests/s heh (without cloudflare).

FYI, all caching methods = generally higher memory consumption and sometimes higher cache related cpu consumption. The goal of caching in context of wordpress is usually to lessen the load placed on php/php-fpm as that is the weakest part of any LEMP/LAMP setup in terms of scalability. So sometimes caching isn't necessary faster just scales better in high concurrent traffic environments.

3. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

May 25, 2014
    Phillipines
    Ratings:
    +1,315
    Local Time:
    11:35 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  4. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,308
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Yeah Cloudflare caching will take alot of load off the backend server(s) :D

5. KinderOvO

KinderOvO Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    Could you indicate a good TCP configuration tutorial? because I often realize that I have problems precisely in this part.

I just need to cache visitor pages, I have no user login system, just wp-admin for admins.

I'm thinking of going with varnish, but most vcl I tested did not work correctly.

6. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,308
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 for non-openvz systems already auto tunes TCP for 80% of situations. For rest google search and read 100s of guides to get grasp - how I learn here :)

7. redbird

redbird Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Web
    Ratings:
    +10
    Local Time:
    How about WP Rocket plugin instead of keycdn cache enabler. It plays nicely with cloudflare? Anyone tested it in comparison to keycdn cache enabler?

8. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,308
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    WP Rocket is a paid plugin so haven't tested it myself.

9. sfs00784

sfs00784 New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Ratings:
    +11
    Local Time:
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,308
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
  11. sfs00784

sfs00784 New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Ratings:
    +11
    Local Time:
    lol. i forgot one thing: wp rocket uses htacess. and need to use a third party git for ngnix server. Better use keycdn cache enabler, free, fast, lightweight

• Informative Informative x 1