Want to subscribe to topics you're interested in?
Become a Member

Explaining what Centmin Mod is ?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by eva2000, Aug 1, 2016.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +9,756
    Local Time:
    10:00 AM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Thought I'd appropriately start this thread in introductions forum. Over time, I've had difficulty fully explaining what Centmin Mod LEMP stack is to offline folks who are not internet or technically savy. Even after explaining, they're still confused :LOL:

The best explanation I came up with for Centmin Mod LEMP stack is posted on the official site at https://centminmod.com/lemp.html.

So how are explaining to others what Centmin Mod LEMP is ? Curious to hear what you folks are saying :)

2. Sunka

Sunka Active Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Ratings:
    +376
    Local Time:
    2:00 AM
    Nginx 1.13.3
    MariaDB 10.1.24
    Combination of programs that makes my forum alive and kicking.
    I explain them (but I am noob too in world of Linux) that centminmod is like a bisquite and file for cake, and on top of that my forum is a cream.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. hardousse

hardousse Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Sweden
    Ratings:
    +35
    Local Time:
    3:00 AM
    1.11.*
    10.1*
    Centminmod it's set of script that's make your server life easy and away from the grafic panel that's concentrate on designe more then fonction,for me centminmod its security,freedom,future like said @Sunka its like sugar without it nothing sweet...

• Like Like x 1
  4. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +9,756
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    interesting explanations guys.. keep them coming :D

5. pamamolf

pamamolf Well-Known Member

May 31, 2014
    Ratings:
    +390
    Local Time:
    3:00 AM
    Nginx-1.13.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    Centminmod is easy to use and flexible with so much power in it that make my life much easier :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. JarylW

JarylW Active Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Singapore
    Ratings:
    +99
    Local Time:
    8:00 AM
    I would say it is sort of a more optimized and automated graphic approach for web admins who are not so comfortable with command line and for staying away from bloated control panels .

Moving forward, will there will be a debminmod? :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. marc3000

marc3000 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Ratings:
    +13
    Local Time:
    8:00 PM
    I'm not a linux expert but i am slowly learning more and more about it.

I would say CentMin Mod is an "add-on" that attaches itself to the main linux operating system(CentOS), and this CentMin "add-on" has the essential features that is required if you want to run a website from your linux operating system(CentOS).

The CentMin "add-on" has the following 3 features: nginx(web server), mariaDB(mySQL), & php(website language)

Together with the the operating system(CentOS) and CentMin mod, you are able to run a website from your server/computer

That is how i would describe it. I'm still learning what it is, but it's helping me learn linux and that is my goal in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  8. marc3000

marc3000 New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Ratings:
    +13
    Local Time:
    8:00 PM
    One thing i am confused about is, if Centmin Mod is a combination of nginx, mariaDB & php

why can't i just download nginx, mariaDB & php straight on my server and skip CentMin Mod,

does Centmin Mod actually offer more features or is it really just a combination of those 3 features already available online

9. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +9,756
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Centmin Mod LEMP does more than just download nginx, mariadb and php - it auto optimises then and installs nginx modules not available in standard nginx distro repositories and auto optimises the centos os environment based on detected server resources like cpu, cpu threads, memory installed, disk peformance and allows optional improvements end users can enable. It does it nearly all automated saving folks time.

For example with my experience in system admin. If I was to manually install and setup nginx, mariadb and php and entire CentOS OS to equivalent that Centmin Mod LEMP stack does automatically, it would probably take me at least 4-8 hours to do on a fast server. Most other system admins did it manually, they probably won't even have 80% of what Centmin Mod LEMP automates, tweaks, optimises and installs.

Centmin Mod LEMP has stuff that no other auto installer providers and definitely has stuff no other system admin would install

i.e.
    Whereas Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 beta installer can do that in around 10-50 minutes depending on server specs/speed.

With some of the above listed features, try asking other LEMP stack installers or control panels if they support such features particularly on CentOS OS servers :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2