Want to subscribe to topics you're interested in?
Become a Member

Wordpress Experience With Learning Management System Wordpress Plugins ?

Discussion in 'Blogs & CMS usage' started by eva2000, Sep 11, 2019.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,236
    Local Time:
    4:07 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Any Wordpress users have first hand experience on either admin side or end user side with Wordpress Learning Management System plugins ? Plugins which allow you to setup learning classroom type sites ? Looking for insights and feedback ?

One of my very very long term goals is starting a Centmin Mod related learning classroom/academy to offer short online courses for learning everything about Centmin Mod. With the eventual goal of reaching a level of certification folks can undertake.

I am not even sure if Wordpress is the best platform for such, but I did come across a few articles which go over a few LMS Wordpress plugins:
    Which list the following Wordpress Learning Management Systems:
    LearnDash or WP Courseware seems to be the ones I am leaning towards :)

Would be interested in folks feedback if they have setup such in the past or as an end user go through such courses via any of the above articles' mentioned LMS Wordpress plugins ?

2. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +841
    Local Time:
    2:07 AM
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    Maybe there is a service out there you can use which will promote your courses for you, freeing up your time to focus on the content and not managing and setting up the website and the plugin. You know how it goes... dealing with server, setting up security, installing the tutorial plugin, finding issues, reporting those issues to the plugin developer, setting up the style, dealing with the plugin upgrades, dealing with clients who are having a hard time with the website, etc.

Maybe your time is better spent on creating the content to help people use CMM. Let someone else deal with the problems of running a tutorial website and promoting the courses.

Should the goal be creating the courses or creating, managing, and content populating the course website?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +841
    Local Time:
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    CMM+ certification. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,236
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Yeah was thinking about that - though the services like Teachable can run into hundreds of dollars per month.

And the risk there is that your content is managed and hosted by a 3rd party and if they close down or end their service, you can potentially loose all content/coursework.
    yeah that's the eventual idea :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,236
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Doing more research into LearnDash as it has 3rd party mobile app supporting products so you can use mobile app for users to take LearnDash courses too. But seems scalability of concurrent users seems kind of low between 75-150 users from tests at Hosting High Traffic LearnDash Sites and from comments in that blog article needs alot of cpu resources and some folks on higher end wordpress managed hosting managed 340+ concurrent users. I guess is comes down to scaling Wordpress itself for logged in.

It's the kind of scalability challenge I like to dig my teeth into and see how much better I can make a Centmin Mod Wordpress install scale compared to other folks :) Guess part of the challenge will be testing how well Wordpress scales for logged in member versus guest full page caching :D

Almost forgot about Moodle too Moodle LMS - Online Learning with the World's Most Popular LMS! They even have a forum dedicated to Moodle Hardware/Performance !

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  6. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +841
    Local Time:
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    Maybe a first step would be to create a landing page outlining what certifications you are offering using getresponse.com. Award some of those certifications to people who already demonstrate a basic understanding of CMM giving them the most basic certification, lets say that CMM+ certification.

Basic: CMM+ (Centmin Mod Plus Certification)
    Intermediate: CMMIC (Centmin Mod Intermediate Certification)
    Advanced: CMMAC (Centmin Mod Advanced Certification)

Then you can list those people as people who've already have the certification and those people can promote that there's a certification for centmin mod. When others are looking to become certified, by seeing the certification on people you've given the certification too, they'll go to your getresponse.com landing page, signup and you'll captures their email address so that you can contact them as you move closer to releasing your training website.

I'm sure you'll get interested people giving you their email so that they can be informed as to the progress of your certification. This will give you a good idea how many people are interested, while building a solid email marketing database.

Use getresponse.com to manage the captured emails and create marketing emails (informational emails at first) to provide information to the people who've given their email address. At the same time you can recommend products and services you use yourself if people are interested.

Actually, there are people online who use funnels for the entire training courses. Each email contains a training course and it also promotes a service. Using the automation video above, you can make very complex email workflows. You could have a non-certified training course which you could use to market to people who just want basic information and don't want to pay for a full course. Those people, since they aren't paying, are prime for email marketing where you can up-sell products and services.

Setting up a basic non-certified course with a landing page and email marketing workflow could make you money without doing much but setting up the initial training courses and workflow. Plus later on you can market to the people who remain on your email list.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 3:28 AM
  7. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,236
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    thanks @Jimmy interesting suggestions about using getresponse too :)

Definitely like this idea to build up that interest before actual launch :)

Definitely something for me to think about so not to waste Centmin Mod's momentum and interest right now :D

As to LMS systems, seems Moodle might be a better fit from reading on their hardware/performance forums, most folks are hitting road blocks at way higher user concurrency rates of 2,500 to 8,000 versus Wordpress LMS solutions which seem to hit same scaling road blocks at between 150-350 concurrent users. Plus Moodle has free self-hosted version too so I can start out and test/benchmark/scale optimise as I go without the monthly costs. Also Moodle seems to have more documentation/guide info for scaling Moodle including cluster/load balanced setups. So something for further down the track too :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +841
    Local Time:
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    This is also a great video on getresponse. He goes into detail about building an email list and using getresponse automation features.

9. mrkip

mrkip New Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Ratings:
    +7
    Local Time:
    7:07 AM
    I'm really interested in how you get on with this Eva. I'm planning to launch a course in about 8-12 months time if everything goes well. I've no idea how it will sell though, so no idea on user numbers, concurrent users, etc.

I've used Learndash in the past and can testify it's a nice plugin with some great features. It also integrates well with some of the big email marketing software services - especially Active Campaign.

I've also been considering this LMS platform: thinkific.com

I quite like the look and price of Thinkific, it seems to have some marketing features the LMSs don't.
    Anyway, I've subscribed to this thread as I'm really curious to see what you end up using and how it performs. Keep us posted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Qu Don

Qu Don Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Brooklyn, New York
    Ratings:
    +13
    Local Time:
    Moodle is a very mature project and a safer bet.

Take a gander at https://open.edx.org/ also opensource has mlearning support as well https://github.com/edx/edx-app-android. I dont know how how it'll dance with Centos or Centminmod for that matter but some instructional technologists have vouched for its eCommerce capabilities.

On the other hand I am also trying to launch a self hosted LMS project for CAD tutorials I have been making over the past few months and will be interested in your feedback or updates going forward.

Is your project going to be running on Centminmod by any chance?

11. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,236
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    cheers @mrkip @Qu Don thanks for your comments and good to see other folks also on this LMS journey of discovery :)

yes the LMS project I plan for Centmin Mod classes will be running on Centmin Mod LEMP stack if it is self hosted :)

will check out open.edx.org and thinkific.com as well and see

12. fabianski

fabianski Member

Feb 20, 2019
    Brazil
    Ratings:
    +35
    Local Time:
    3:07 AM
    I have a site with learndash with over 50 active memberships. I've never had a lot of high traffic at the same time because students usually access at very different times from each other. But I've never had speed problems on the site. Centminmod running smooth as always xD

• Like Like x 1
  13. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,236
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Thanks for your feedback, good to hear learndash working well with Centmin Mod already - did you use wordpress installer via centmin.sh menu option 22 ? or manually install wordpress ?

14. fabianski

fabianski Member

Feb 20, 2019
    Brazil
    Ratings:
    +35
    Local Time:
    3:07 AM
    Yes, I installed it through menu 22.
    If you need to access it I can send the link to.

15. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,236
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    that's ok, just curious which method of wordpress install you used :)

• Like Like x 1