Join the community today
Become a Member

Email Email Setup?

Discussion in 'Domains, DNS, Email & SSL Certificates' started by anthony parsons, Jul 11, 2018.

1. anthony parsons

anthony parsons Premium Member Premium Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Ratings:
    +22
    Local Time:
    6:39 AM
    Current yum stable
    Do I have to setup email so installed software sends via postfix and such software, OR, is the default install all good to implement installed server software via say, Amazon SES? I assume there is no requirement for any server mail software with external providers?

Basically... does amazon SES interact with postfix or such on the server? If not, I can just setup that and implement dmarc, spf and dkim at DNS and Amazon.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,532
    Local Time:
    5:39 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Postfix is already installed and properly configured for server wide outbound email sending. So software like Xenforo/Wordpress can use their options for SMTP sending out of the box.

If you want to send server wide outbound email via Amazon SES you need to modify the existing Postfix config to do send Amazon SES emails via Postfix relay. If you don't want all server outbound email sent via Amazon SES, then nothing to do server config wise.

But outbound email is sent via main hostname i.e. [email protected], so host.domain.com still needs SPF/DMARC/DKIM treatment outlined at Email - Steps to ensure your site/server email doesn't end up in spam inboxes

• Like Like x 1