Join the community today
Register Now

EasyEngine Refugee

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ririzarry, Mar 27, 2019.

1. ririzarry

ririzarry New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Ratings:
    +10
    Local Time:
    2:56 AM
    Probably not the first or the last, but after EasyEngine moved to Docker in v4, I decided to look elsewhere which is how I came across Centmin Mod. And, I'm glad I did.

After playing around with it in a test environment, I decided to move a small WordPress site on to it. Over the coming week or two, I plan on moving a couple of other sites to Centmin Mod. I look forward to learning more.

• Like Like x 1
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,229
    Local Time:
    4:56 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    welcome @ririzarry to Centmin Mod Community & Centmin Mod. Definitely a few EE refugees here already :)

There's 6 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod ;)

Might also be interested in reading up on latest LEMP stack comparison benchmarks tagged here.

You might want to try the 123.09beta01 build as it will be next stable release and well has alot of improvements if you check 2nd post change log at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing. And you can share your initial install times here.

Threads you might want to participate in ;)

Quick Tips

Threads & Info To Bookmark

Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:

Centmin Mod Insights Forum

The Centmin Mod Insights forums digs deeper into the inner workings of Centmin Mod so some useful threads in this forum include:

Security Related Developments

A few security related developments you might be interested reading about

Premium Membership

Centmin Mod Donations

You now can show your love and support for Centmin Mod via

3. EckyBrazzz

EckyBrazzz Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    >>>>Click here<<<< i'm nearby......
    Ratings:
    +230
    Local Time:
    3:56 AM
    1.17.x
    10.3.x
    Also gave a try to EE 4 but ran away the same day. Should be easy but after the release of version 4 the documention is completly wrong

• Like Like x 1
  4. ririzarry

ririzarry New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Ratings:
    +10
    Local Time:
    The documentation was definitely a problem but I had also updated my EE 3 to support Brotli and webp and couldn't see myself going to 4 which supports neither.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. buik

buik Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Ratings:
    +904
    Local Time:
    8:56 AM
    EasyEngine 3 was fine over here.
    I don't like EasyEngine 4 so far as it is unstable for me.

I had several docker container crashes, after which the system no longer recognized the data partition, at first sight.
    For simple sites I don't want to use extra layers to debug and manage like Docker entails.

If Centminmod is no option and you need Easyengine 3 (As Easyengine 3 is EOL)
    Try: https://wordops.io/
    It's an Easyengine 3 port without Docker and other unnecessary junk.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ririzarry

ririzarry New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Ratings:
    +10
    Local Time:
    I took a look at WordOps but it seems to be in its infancy. As I look at Centmin Mod, I see tremendous depth and a long term proposition. I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

• Like Like x 2
  7. fabianski

fabianski Member

Feb 20, 2019
    Brazil
    Ratings:
    +35
    Local Time:
    you can try slickstack(littlebizzy/slickstack) too

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. buik

buik Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Ratings:
    +904
    Local Time:
    Alpha software where things won't work and the developer write about "be careful".
    At the very least, it cannot be advised to run in production.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. EckyBrazzz

EckyBrazzz Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    >>>>Click here<<<< i'm nearby......
    Ratings:
    +230
    Local Time:
    1.17.x
    10.3.x
    I think we should lock this post. It´s about Centmin Mod, not about others!

10. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,229
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
  11. jessuppi

jessuppi New Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Ratings:
    +4
    Local Time:
    1:56 AM
    Appreciate the mention of SlickStack and the open-mindedness of @eva2000 ... it's incredible how much energy and time you invest into developing Centmin Mod :)

Also if anyone is interested to know, SlickStack is currently powering many hundreds of production sites...

I will just say that it's awesome to see so much interest in server management lately, and that I think it's important to not see these various tools as competitors per se but rather critical "bridges" to introducing more developers and independent teams and agencies to server management and beyond.

With companies like Amazon and Google and Shopify taking over the internet, a positive DevOps culture is our only hope for ensuring a free market for decades to come...

Like many here, I'm not a big fan of Docker, containers, or unnecessary bloat, but I'm glad that rtCamp moved into that space and very transparently encouraged the WordOps fork and ongoing discussion.

At the end of the day, though, Bash is pretty much forever... so TL;DR =

"Let there be rock" \m/

• Like Like x 3
  12. buik

buik Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Ratings:
    +904
    Local Time:
    Hi Jesse,

It looks like you are the author of SlickStack.
    Firstly thanks for the software, building and maintaining code takes much more time than many people will think. In a world where Google is powerful, many people think that it is normal if software or software related services are free.

Not knowing that free nowadays (often) means paying with your privacy.
    Once again thanks for your work.
    I have some questions for you.

Does the exact same code run in production?
    If so, why is it an alpha ("Alpha ss3c"), and why does it run with components that do not work or do not work well? For example Monit and to a lesser extent: WP-CLI.

I close my reaction with the fact that I have absolutely no problem with Docker.
    Docker clearly has it's place.

But..... I just don't understand Easyengine with Docker.
    And especially. What is the added value? of Docker in this case.

Everyone knows that Docker brings added value when you have multiple systems.
    To run on multiple systems or to quickly transfer them a.s.a.p. from environment to environment if needed.

But as Easyengine operates as stand-alone server.
    It creates an extra layer that must be debugged in the case of problems.

A simple web server with some extra programs (PHP,SQL etc) and one or two websites with slightly more traffic than normal does not require a Docker server at all.

I wonder if the Easyengine user group is suitable for an additional Docker layer to manage. After a quick glance. Most problems reported in the Easyengine user group on GitHub are Docker related. Of which a large number of user errors in the end.

The Easyengine team takes on a lot of extra work. Firstly, converting V3 to V4 with Docker, maintaining and writing additional code to use Docker, and responding to any additional issues that are reported and Docker related.

• Like Like x 2
  13. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,229
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019