Discover Centmin Mod today
Register Now

Sysadmin Docker - Anyone uses it over CMM?

Discussion in 'System Administration' started by deschlong, Mar 2, 2018.

1. deschlong

deschlong New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Ratings:
    +8
    Local Time:
    5:36 PM
    Hello everyone,

since I joined this forum I was also looking for some alternatives to quickly deploy a webserver and found about docker - shame on me I never read more about docker before, I heard about it but never read how it works and why I should use it etc.

Currently I struggle on which one to choose. Creating own docker images takes time, since I dont know anything about it, with CMM on the other you basically just execute it and you are done.

I know this might be wrong place to ask, but maybe some of you guys are having multiple servers and you use docker for X and CMM for Y or maybe both? And you can answer or help me out a bit.

Most of the time I basically deploy a simple web server with nginx and either a forum software or a CMS - whatever the customer wants me to do.

So maube you can tell me some pros and cons between docker and CMM?

Thanks!

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,177
    Local Time:
    1:36 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Centmin Mod has a Docker development forum at Centmin Mod Docker Development though threads and info there maybe sparse and dated by now. I am still new to Docker but use it for small things like my Ubuntu nghttp2 Docker Image & Ubuntu VNC Desktop Docker Image. I wouldn't use Docker in production for web serving as I don't know Docker that well enough and concerns of security and isolation and performance overhead of Docker containers.

Good thing about cheaper KVM based VPS hosting is that allows you to play with both Centmin Mod and test/learn about Docker so you don't necessarily have to just do one thing.

3. deschlong

deschlong New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Ratings:
    +8
    Local Time:
    Yeah, getting pretty mixed answers from google search.

Some swear on docker, some just use/prefer it for dev environments.

Pretty hard for me to determine if its good or bad now. I mean its a nice feature to create your own image which you can
    Code:
    git clone
    and
    Code:
    docker run -d
    , but also would take a good amount of time to learn about volumes and how to make config mountable and what not. I mean if you have set it up once, it should be fine, but getting there might set me back on other things which are important, so, to be honest.. i dont know..

Interesting article I found: Why databases are not for containers

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. pamamolf

pamamolf Well-Known Member

May 31, 2014
    Ratings:
    +530
    Local Time:
    6:36 PM
    Nginx-1.13.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    Docker = performance overhead

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. lushen

lushen New Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Ratings:
    +4
    Local Time:
    Yeah.. I decided to use CMM, the performance and "easy to use" factor is incredible.

Wanna use Letsencrypt? Enable it and install a cert
    Wanna use Cloudflare? Just uncomment 1 line and restart nginx

Thats awesome. Thanks @eva2000 for your work and this awesome project!

• Like Like x 1
  6. deltahf

deltahf Premium Member Premium Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +206
    Local Time:
    11:36 AM
    You made the right choice, welcome to the Centminmod community!