Join the community today
Become a Member

Nginx PageSpeed Do I have to explicitly write the desired ngx_pagespeed version in custom_config.inc?

Discussion in 'Nginx, PHP-FPM & MariaDB MySQL' started by BobbyWibowo, Jan 25, 2017.

1. BobbyWibowo

BobbyWibowo Active Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Medan, Indonesia
    Ratings:
    +57
    Local Time:
    1:33 PM
    Please fill in any relevant information that applies to you:
    • CentOS Version: CentOS 7 64bit
    • Centmin Mod Version Installed: 123.09beta01
    • Nginx Version Installed: 1.11.8 (on ma way to 1.11.9)
    • PHP Version Installed: 7.1.1
    • MariaDB MySQL Version Installed: 10.1.20
    • When was last time updated Centmin Mod code base ? : i dunno, there was a cronjob for it, and centmin said that it was up to date when i logged in, so~~
    I think someone might have asked about this before, but I couldn't think up the right phrases for the keywords. So yeah, my question is on the title. As we know, if we want to enable ngx_pagespeed, we'll have to write NGINX_PAGESPEED=y in custom_config.inc (update me if my knowledge is already outdated) and then, I can't remember if it's a "must" or not, we also have to write NGXPGSPEED_VER and NGINX_PAGESPEEDPSOL_VER with the desired version (with '-beta' on the former). What if I want to just remain 'up-to-date' with the latest version whenever I rebuild my NGINX though? Can't I just remove NGXPGSPEED_VER and NGINX_PAGESPEEDPSOL_VER so that Centmin Mod will automatically choose the latest version available if I have NGINX_PAGESPEED=y? (experimenting this sounds risky for some reason, so I haven't tried - there should be many failsafes in Centmin Mod though, so I don't know what I'm afraid of) Thanks in advance btw!

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,401
    Local Time:
    4:33 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    see official ngx_pagespeed page at Nginx PageSpeed - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS
    Code (Text):
    NGXDYNAMIC_NGXPAGESPEED='y'
    NGINX_PAGESPEED='y'

you don't need to set NGXPGSPEED_VER and NGINX_PAGESPEEDPSOL_VER in persistent config file if centmin.sh has the latest. You would only have to do this if the latest version is newer than one set in centmin.sh.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. BobbyWibowo

BobbyWibowo Active Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Medan, Indonesia
    Ratings:
    +57
    Local Time:
    1:33 PM
    I didn't have NGXDYNAMIC_NGXPAGESPEED=y all this time but there didn't appear to be any issue with PageSpeed :eek:

4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,401
    Local Time:
    4:33 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    of that is optional for NGXDYNAMIC_NGXPAGESPEED=y - but highly recommended as compiling ngx_pagespeed as dynamic module instead of static (NGXDYNAMIC_NGXPAGESPEED=n default) means the nginx binary size is smaller so memory usage is more efficient too.

• Informative Informative x 1