Want more timely Centmin Mod News Updates?
Become a Member

Sysadmin CPU usage 4.23, 4.47, 4.43 - fresh install - sites idling

Discussion in 'System Administration' started by johnnyking, Nov 29, 2017.

1. johnnyking

johnnyking New Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    2:27 AM
    Hello Everyone

I have always used OpenLitespeed so im new about Nginx. Ive done a fresh install of CentminMod (beta branch because i was interested to have letsencrypt) at https://www.netcup.eu/ Root Server RS 1000 G7 SE and it works very well. A few commands and i have 3 wp sites of my customers ready to be used.

The problem ? Im very scared about the output of top:

%Cpu(s): 99,5 us

and about the output when i login with ssh:

- CPU usage.....: 4.23, 4.47, 4.43 (1, 5, 15 min)
    - Processes.....: 118 running
    - System uptime.: 1 days 6 hours 13 minutes 49 seconds

I can assure you its a "vanilla" install of CentMinMod and i didnt change anything, only a bit of CSF.

The problem ? I had on a server with same specs and OpenLitespeed cpu usage close to 0.

Ive done some troubleshooting. Sites are not get hammered by bots, they are very well configured (ive done a bunch of functions in php for seo and management purposes) and they are using only 3 plugins :D (xml sitemap, the cache plugin in centminmod default wp install and an opcache viewer).

Honestly as first experience with CentminMod is not the best one but im sure ill find out whats happening.

Do you have any ideas ? Thanks everyone

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,430
    Local Time:
    11:27 AM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Is that the same exact server/specs used for OpenLitespeed setup or different server/specs for Centmin Mod LEMP setup compared to OpenLiteSpeed ?

CPU load optimal is 1.0 per cpu thread so 8 cpu thread normal = 8x1 = 8.0. 16 cpu server normal is 16x1 = 16.0

so cpu load of 8 for
    • 2 cpu server = 8/2 = 4.0 load average
    • 4 cpu server = 8/4 = 2.0 load average
    • 8 cpu server = 8/8 = 1.0 load average
    When you type top command, hit number 1 to break down per cpu stats

Centmin Mod is provided as is, so troubleshooting load issues is left to end user to do. However, there's many linux tools and scripts that can help you figure out what was causing the load issues and when.

If you're providing info on this forum, more info might be helpful
    1. What version of Centmin Mod ? .08 stable or .09 beta ? If .09 beta when was it installed and when was last time you updated ?
    2. What's your VPS/Server hardware specifications ? cpu type ? memory available ? disk space ?
    3. Who's your web host ? Different hosts have different limits for server resource usage and some are more restrictive that others so it could just be their resource usage policy you tripped which may or may not be restrictive. If restrictive, then real solution would be finding a better web host. If not restrictive, then it's finding out what caused high cpu load.
    Tools and commands you will want to read up on and learn for basic system admin tasks and troubleshooting.
    Notes:
    For example what's output for these commands
    Code (Text):
    top -bn1

Code (Text):
    ps aufxw

Code (Text):
    sar -q

Code (Text):
    sar -r

Code (Text):
    sar -q -f /var/log/sa/sa$(date +%d -d yesterday)

Code (Text):
    sar -r -f /var/log/sa/sa$(date +%d -d yesterday)

for posting code you might want to use CODE tags for code How to use forum BBCODE code tags :)