Welcome to Centmin Mod Community
Become a Member

Connection Timeouts with FTP

Discussion in 'Other Centmin Mod Installed software' started by saigoncrypto, Jan 11, 2018.

1. saigoncrypto

saigoncrypto New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    9:33 AM
    • CentOS Version: CentOS 7 64bit
    • Centmin Mod Version Installed: 123.08stable
    I am having an issue with FTP connection. It always times out when trying to upload a lot of files. Is there a way to increase the timeout time? My internet connection is slow.

I am using Transmit as my FTP client.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,195
    Local Time:
    2:33 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Which ftp method you using ?

The auto created domain pure-ftpd virtual ftp user login which requires setting FTP with explicit TLS/SSL enabled outlined here ? Or using SFTP via root user login ?

How slow is connection ?

How many files/data size for uploads ?

Instead of uploading individual files, you can upload a zip file and extract and move files to their destination address. Example of uploading zip file and extracting Sysadmin - What SFTP/FTP and SSH client apps do you use ?

Another example posted for step 3 of xenforo 2 install guide at Xenforo - Xenforo 2.0.0 Beta 1 Released where I upload xenforo 2 zip with the contained files to a zip directory, extract zip file contents, chown the files recursively and move them to web root public directory.

If unsure, practice on a test server with a test site and test zip files to practice uploading zip file, extracting and making sure to extract into a test directory and then move files extracted to correct destination. Once sure you have process mastered, try on live site/server.

3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,195
    Local Time:
    2:33 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Now if the timeouts are due to CSF Firewall, see FAQ items 40 & 41 for details and clues.

Also pure-ftp virtual ftp configuration for CSF Firewall limits are much more mature in centmin mod 123.09beta01 than in 123.08stable, so switching to 123.09beta01 via centmin.sh menu option 23 submenu option 3 outlined in 1st post at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing and then exiting centmin.sh + reenter /usr/local/src/centminmod directory and re-running centmin.sh again to complete the switch will set you up on 123.09beta01 and auto reconfigure pure-ftpd/csf firewall limits as well.

You can also following the backup customisations part of guide prior to switching centmin mod branch versions Upgrade - How to upgrade Centmin Mod + backing up customisations

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018