Learn about Centmin Mod LEMP Stack today
Register Now

Connection Timeouts with FTP

Discussion in 'Other Centmin Mod Installed software' started by saigoncrypto, Jan 11, 2018.

1. saigoncrypto

saigoncrypto New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    6:39 PM
    • CentOS Version: CentOS 7 64bit
    • Centmin Mod Version Installed: 123.08stable
    I am having an issue with FTP connection. It always times out when trying to upload a lot of files. Is there a way to increase the timeout time? My internet connection is slow.

I am using Transmit as my FTP client.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,932
    Local Time:
    11:39 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Which ftp method you using ?

The auto created domain pure-ftpd virtual ftp user login which requires setting FTP with explicit TLS/SSL enabled outlined here ? Or using SFTP via root user login ?

How slow is connection ?

How many files/data size for uploads ?

Instead of uploading individual files, you can upload a zip file and extract and move files to their destination address. Example of uploading zip file and extracting Sysadmin - What SFTP/FTP and SSH client apps do you use ?

Another example posted for step 3 of xenforo 2 install guide at Xenforo - Xenforo 2.0.0 Beta 1 Released where I upload xenforo 2 zip with the contained files to a zip directory, extract zip file contents, chown the files recursively and move them to web root public directory.

If unsure, practice on a test server with a test site and test zip files to practice uploading zip file, extracting and making sure to extract into a test directory and then move files extracted to correct destination. Once sure you have process mastered, try on live site/server.

3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,932
    Local Time:
    11:39 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Now if the timeouts are due to CSF Firewall, see FAQ items 40 & 41 for details and clues.

Also pure-ftp virtual ftp configuration for CSF Firewall limits are much more mature in centmin mod 123.09beta01 than in 123.08stable, so switching to 123.09beta01 via centmin.sh menu option 23 submenu option 3 outlined in 1st post at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing and then exiting centmin.sh + reenter /usr/local/src/centminmod directory and re-running centmin.sh again to complete the switch will set you up on 123.09beta01 and auto reconfigure pure-ftpd/csf firewall limits as well.

You can also following the backup customisations part of guide prior to switching centmin mod branch versions Upgrade - How to upgrade Centmin Mod + backing up customisations

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018