Discover Centmin Mod today
Register Now

Email Configuring mail filtering

Discussion in 'Domains, DNS, Email & SSL Certificates' started by CarpCharacin, Feb 6, 2019.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Ratings:
    +34
    Local Time:
    8:12 AM
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.1
    I have webmail setup with dovecot and postfix with RoundCube as the mail client, but I have been getting several hundred spam emails per day. I installed Apache SpamAssasin, and it tags all the spam emails with [SPAM], but I'm not exactly sure how to set up mail filtering, so it it filters the spam into the junk folder and deletes it automatically. I tried following this guide up until the point where it said to enable the roundcube plugin, but when I tried to run chown vmail: -R /etc/dovecot/sieve and chown vmail:mail /var/log/dovecot-*, it said invalid spec: ‘vmail:’, and I'm not sure what the user it is running under is. I had to reverse the configuration changes that the guide said to make because it caused the webmail to stop working. What should I do to get it so it works? I'm not all that experienced when it comes to configuring mail servers, but I really have to get this set up, as I have been getting so much spam.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +14,243
    Local Time:
    12:12 AM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Centmin Mod is provide as is, so short of scripted related bugs or issues, any further optimisation to the web stack components - nginx, php-fpm, mariadb mysql, csf firewall etc or web app specific configurations are left to the Centmin Mod user to deal with. So I do not provide any free support for such email setups you did yourself.

However, Centmin Mod users are free to help each other out and ask questions or give answers on this community forum. My hopes are that this community forum evolves so that more veteran long time Centmin Mod users help new Centmin Mod users out :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoeDer

JoeDer Premium Member Premium Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Ratings:
    +33
    Local Time:
    5:12 PM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    • Old Old x 1
  4. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Ratings:
    +34
    Local Time:
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.1
  5. robert syputa

robert syputa Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Seattle
    Ratings:
    +38
    Local Time:
    10:12 AM
    latest
    Centminmod provides no support for email servers and, therefore, no support for SpamAssassin or other email server programs.
    Sometimes someone will help or suggest how to run an email server, such as running one on a separate VPS server. Centminmod has a topic on the use of alternative email servers and also on the use of hosted email services.
    email servers can be complex to set up, have many options, and can interfere with running a web server/WP server. Unless Eva2000 decides to offer support, it is best to stick what Centminmod does well and run email off of another server or hosted service.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Ratings:
    +34
    Local Time:
    1.15.x
    MariaDB 10.1
    I know he provides no official support, I was just posting here to get community support. Using a hosted service isn't an option.

7. wmtech

wmtech Active Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Ratings:
    +85
    Local Time:
    4:12 PM
    Most of the SPAM at our mail server is catched by postscreen and dnsbl (e.g. zen.spamhaus.org, b.barracudacentral.org). You should set up both of them.

This is our working sieve rule for general Junk folder:
    Code:
    require ["fileinto"];

# rule:[Move Spam to Junk Folder]
    if header :is "X-Spam-Flag" "YES"
    {
        fileinto "Junk";
    }

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. robert syputa

robert syputa Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Seattle
    Ratings:
    +38
    Local Time:
    10:12 AM
    latest
    OK, my advice is:
    1) Do not try to install an email server on a Centminmod VPS. It is not supported and I doubt that you will find anyone to help you.
    2) That is because VPS are cheap so you can have one that runs one of the email servers discussed on other threads on this board. Then you can set up your primary domain server, let's assume that is yourdomain.com using Centminmod so that it aliases to the email server.
    Search for the other threads to find more information.
    3) If you decide on an email server to use on a separate VPS and then install that, you can use that email server support forum to help set up the use such as using a Wordperfect email app.
    Then if you run into issues, such as how to set up the use of the server for WP sites, you should first seek help from the WP app support and, if you have issues that are particular to how Centminmod interfaces with WP, come back here to ask specific questions.
    These are just my opinions. If you can find someone who wants to answer otherwise, then go for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1