Learn about Centmin Mod LEMP Stack today
Become a Member

Coming from TuxLite/Ubuntu — Questions :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Markku, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Markku

Markku New Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2
    Local Time:
    10:48 PM
    We've used Tuxlite on Ubuntu for a long while, gotten used to it very much. I think I started using the Tuxlite script back in 2010 so it's been a while.

I've always been a Debian/Ubuntu user, but maybe CentOS won't be too difficult to learn. It seems there are no better scripts out there than CentMinMod so...

We will be upgrading our server to a very fast server (2x512GB NVMe Flash drive, 64GB ram, quad core) - do you think CentMinMod is a good match for such a fast server?

I read that the new beta version of CentMinMod is able to configure everything based on a server's speed? So to get that functionality, I would need to use the beta version of CentMinMod?

How stable is the beta for production? We need to have the site up and running 24/7.

Once the beta goes to stable, is the upgrade process smooth?

I noticed here on the community forums that when I'm logged out, the XF search functionality doesn't work. I tried searching for something, and it returned with a completely different search word. Is this because of some kind of caching?

I assume such caching can be turned off from CentMinMod settings? It is important for us that guest visitors are able to use the search too.

We use XF and WP.

I noticed that you have created a MySQL backup script for premium members. I wish you would finish creating the version that also backs up file structures. We want to have a full site backup twice a day, incl files and MySQL. Would make for a great incentive for people to sign up as premium members here if you had such a script available :)

We run several domains on the server, and we have a total of 4 IPs for our server. We've used Nginx on the Ubuntu. Some domains are pointed to different IPs in the vhosts.

I assume it is possible to manually edit nginx vhosts without centminmod breaking?

How are the vhost directories set up by default with CentMinMod; are they all under "www" or similar, or can you opt to have domains under different users, for example domain.com being in /home/username/domains/domain.com and domainy.com being in /home/username/domains/domainy.com?

You have decided to disable nginx pagespeed being enabled by default. We don't use it currently, but do you think it adds noticeable speed, so that we should enable it in CentMinMod? You mention that pagespeed requires security updates; does CentMinMod handle those updates automatically?

Sorry for many questions, but it's new territory for us, and since changing OSes and scripts will be a long-term change for us, we'd like to make sure this is a good fit :)

Thanks for your superb efforts!

• Like Like x 1
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,407
    Local Time:
    6:48 AM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    welcome @Markku to Centmin Mod Community. There's 5 steps to learning more about Centmin Mod ;)

You might want to try the 123.09beta01 build as it will be next stable release and well has alot of improvements if you check 2nd post change log at Beta Branch - Centmin Mod .09 beta branch Testing. And you can share your initial install times here.

Threads you might want to participate in ;)

Threads & Info To Bookmark

Threads to read, pages to bookmark and threads to watch/subscribe to get to know Centmin Mod would include:

Centmin Mod Insights Forum

The Centmin Mod Insights forums digs deeper into the inner workings of Centmin Mod so some useful threads in this forum include:

Premium Membership

Centmin Mod Donations

You now can show your love and support for Centmin Mod via

3. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +10,407
    Local Time:
    6:48 AM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    Centmin Mod can work on any system config as long as it's meets the minimum and/or recommended requirements outlined on install page. Auto tuning to system specs is also available in 123.08stable but much more improved and extended in 123.09beta01. Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 is going to go stable soonish only waiting on me to update official site documentation for it before publishing as stable. Otherwise, I have been using beta for 12+ months on 120+ servers :)

Getting Started Guide step 19 outlines also how to keep Centmin Mod code updated or how to switch version branches.

Centmin Mod LEMP stack's script code is constantly updated for improvements, bug fixes and security fixes so keeping the Centmin Mod code up to date is important. With Centmin Mod 1.2.3-eva2000.08) (123.08stable) and higher releases, a newly added centmin.sh menu option 23 allows much easier code updates and version branch swicthing via Git backed environment you can setup. For full details read the following links:
    Upgrading Centmin Mod involves 2 parts.
    1. Upgrading the actual Centmin Mod code outlined at Upgrade Centmin Mod. This is heart of Centmin Mod where the code is the engine that runs centmin.sh shell based menu and all the automation you're accustomed to. You can easily update within a Centmin Mod version branch or switch version branches via centmin.sh menu option 23 outlined here.
    2. Upgrade software that Centmin Mod installed or manages. For this part following outline at How to upgrade Centmin Mod software installed on your server.
    So essentially, you can upgrade from one version branch to another i.e. 123.08stable to 123.09beta01 or higher in place, but not everything is upgraded as some things like server initial environment setup isn't changed i.e. how swap, tmp setup and allocation are created etc. The main parts from part 2 above are what in place upgrades do i.e. Nginx and PHP-FPM compilation and config/settings parameters and MariaDB version from 5.5 to 10.0.x. If you want the full environment changed including tmp and swap setup to .08's configuration, then you would need a fresh OS install and fresh .08 initial install. You can think of it like upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8. An in place upgrade will upgrade code but won't change your computer environment from when you installed Windows 7 i.e. disk configuration and partition sizes won't change from when you initially installed Windows 7. Only way to change that would be fresh Windows 8 install.

First i heard of this bug... what search terms were you using ? I just updated to XF 1.5.13 + PHP 7.1.3 so not sure if it's related so something to sort out

yes users data is important so alot of private testing etc is needed to ensure the script works as expected unfortunately that takes time

Yes you can manually edit nginx vhosts as to extent of editing really depends on what you are doing. Some Centmin Mod features/auto updates look for common expected anchors in nginx vhost structure to update stuff but generally editing nginx listener ip and directives should be fine. You can see config files outlined at Centmin Mod Configuration Files - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS

see

see linked info below for more info

see FAQ item 2 FAQ - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS there's no shared hosting so no /home/username vhosts all are under /home/nginx/domains/yourdomain.com/. Jailed chroot users is something planned for in future see examples at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/jailed-chrooted-sftp-ssh-user-nginx-vhost-menu.8/ again needs more testing over time so a long term to do feature

see linked info below for more info

Centmin Mod already offers via free open source Nginx version already and can be enabled in latest Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 version as outlined at here. Centmin Mod Nginx has supported ngx_pagspeed since June 2013 and supported Nginx PageSpeed module as a dynamic module since February 2016. The benefits that Nginx PageSpeed provide of improved page load speed are real https://community.centminmod.com/threads/benefits-of-ngx_pagespeed.1032/ :)

Security updates means updating ngx_pagespeed version and recompiling nginx via centmin.sh menu option 4 which is a end user manual test you need to do. Hence, why disabled by default. Example of update process https://community.centminmod.com/threads/ngx_pagespeed-1-12-34-1-beta-released.9754/

reading and practise is key so start with a test vps and test site - no need to jump in the deep end with live site migrations ;) :)

For rest of questions might try in Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions forums

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1