Get the most out of your Centmin Mod LEMP stack
Become a Member

OVH Cloud vs Dedicated

Discussion in 'Dedicated server hosting' started by elargento, May 30, 2018.

1. elargento

elargento Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +43
    Local Time:
    9:39 AM
    I'm just considering Cloud service OVH will offer and I'm basically trying to find out if cloud it's more appropriate rather than a ded server

Cloud will allow me to reduce costs since for a dedicated server, I'm paying more CPU and memory than I really use.

Having said this, the main concerns are:
    1. Is ping better or is the same?
    2. In cloud, Hardware issues will be deal by OVH while on my dedicated server I have to prey them to intervene the server as soon as possible.
    3. Is cloud better so there is no fried motherboards or any hardware issue I should concern about?

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,919
    Local Time:
    10:39 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Really depends on your intended usage and what cloud platform you use as cloud usually means hypervisor virtualisation platform like kvm, xen, openvz, openstack etc and each has their own overhead compared to bare metal dedicated servers.

One factor I am more mindful of now is the existing and ongoing issues with Meltdown and more so Spectre security vulnerabilities and how they affect shared/virtualisation VPS/cloud platforms. It would be more of a potential issue in VPS/cloud compared to bare metal dedicated i.e. Security - Intel Processor Flaw 'kernel memory leaking' [Spectre & Meltdown]

One underlying factor for me is disk storage layer resilience and durability in the face of hardware failures at storage layer level. Dedicated bare metal servers your costs are driven up in the process of achieving that durability via raided disks and block level storage backup/recovery software and even remote backup services that is already baked into some of the VPS/Cloud providers have like Amazon EC2, Azure VM, Google Compute, Linode, Upcloud and Digital Ocean which natively have such. Beauty of cloud/vps is some offerings allow you to scale out cheaply via their provided API systems.

It's one of big reasons this forum is still on Linode - fast and durable storage level that can survive upgrades, migrations within/between datacenters and fast data transfer speeds 100-200MB/s during that process. To replicate the same thing on bare metal dedicated servers would be much more expensive and well Centmin Mod's incoming $$$ from donations and premium memberships isn't anywhere near allowing that privilege yet :)