Get the most out of your Centmin Mod LEMP stack
Become a Member

CentOS 9.x CentOS Stream 9 released

Discussion in 'CentOS, Redhat & Oracle Linux News' started by buik, Dec 5, 2021.

1. buik

buik “The best traveler is one without a camera.”

Apr 29, 2016
    Flanders
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    Local Time:
    1:46 PM
    CentOS Stream 9 is officially released.
    Let me give you my advice. I do not recommend CentOS Stream.
    CentOS Stream is no longer a copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and has absolutely nothing in common with the old trusted CentOS.

CentOS Stream seems very similar to a speedball.
    A dangerous mix of fuzzy new, unstable features and functions on the one hand.
    Mixed with the much overdue addition of security updates.

The Red Hat team needs pages of marketing and PR texts to explain that it is absolutely no Beta software and that you are absolutely not a tester at all. No it is 'Always Ready RHEL', 'a continuous-delivery', 'always giving direct indication of what is going into a RHEL release' and 'features ahead of RHEL'. What is appeared to be. What's the word....... Oh yeah: Beta software.

Source: https://centos.org/distro-faq/

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,985
    Local Time:
    10:46 PM
    Nginx 1.21.x
    MariaDB 10.x
    Yeah not advisable and doesn't make sense that bug fixes land in CentOS Stream 9 before Redhat, but security fixes land after Redhat. I'd expect security fixes like bug fixes land in CentOS Stream 9 before Redhat. Otherwise, from a production point of view there is no point in using CentOS Stream 9 if security fixes lag behind.

But then again you can argue CentOS 7/8 are that way for security updates too, it waits on RHEL 7/8 fixes first.

They're asking folks to be beta tests for CentOS Stream 9 without the protection of any timely security updates. Glad to see AlmaLinux and RockyLinux fill the void - by the time RHEL 9 is production ready, AlmaLinux and RockyLinux would have a much more mature operation :)

3. buik

buik “The best traveler is one without a camera.”

Apr 29, 2016
    Flanders
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    Local Time:
    1:46 PM
    Yes indeed. "From a production point of view there is no point in using CentOS Stream". CentOS was, of course, canceled in the first place because it was secretly taking a lot of market share from Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).

For the simple reason that it is not necessary to run RHEL on a non-critical system.
    When the same company provides a free copy of the same product.
    Under a different name.

They invented that 'Always Ready RHEL', 'a continuous-delivery' marketing crap afterwards.
    The decision to cancel CentOS had already been made then.

From my own expertise, at its peak there were truckloads of non-critical clusters on non RHEL. Red Hat wants a piece of that pie. It's simple as that.

RHEL should remain more interesting at all time as RHEL is the flagship.
    From my work experience I can already tell you.
    Stream is not going to get security updates before or at the same time as RHEL.
    Exactly as stated in the CentOS FAQ.

Yes as CentOS is a clone of RHEL. They have to wait. Otherwise the code can get into trouble over binary compatible. CentOS is part of Red Hat so could have released the bits on the same 0-day because it has access to the same code.
    What many people don't know is that as a Red Hat customer you can get the source rpm's from RHEL to.

It's just not business sense, and in the best interests of Red Hat to release CentOS releases or updates on the same time. That's why it doesn't happen on the same day.

In fact, Oracle Linux and AlmaLinux gets it right on the same day with update releases. Even when they are further away because they can only get the code later. So if your priority is there, it can easily be done.