Learn about Centmin Mod LEMP Stack today
Register Now

Install CentOS 7 minimum resource requirement questions ?

Discussion in 'Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions' started by Mrbo, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Mrbo

Mrbo Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Ratings:
    +7
    Local Time:
    1:10 AM
    Hi George, I read your recommendations for CMM install for Cent Os 7 here, but Im wondering why the recommendations are so high and if i could manage with lower specs? I made a fresh installation on the cheapest high frequency compute server, with this installation script and from what I can see it only uses 1% CPU, 250MB RAM and 5GB Storage.

I manage around 20 small wordpress business websites that gets around 500-1000 visitors a month, most of them on the lower end of that spectrum. So could I use the cheapest plan and add more swap memory or whats the cheapest high frequency plan that you would recommend to try? ( My current server is the normal $20 Vultr plan with 2 CPU and 4GB RAM, and its currently using 2.2GB RAM and 30GB.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,079
    Local Time:
    4:10 AM
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    it's high because of CentOS 7 the OS itself requires 1GB minimum memory without anything installed on it - partly due to YUM's memory consumption - so lower memory than 1GB would cause YUM issues. As to disk space requirements it can vary from web host to web host due to CentOS image they use, some on fresh installs on use 5-7GB but some use 10-16GB out of the box so the higher disk requirements are in anticipation of higher default CentOS image disk usage possibility. So you can use your own judgement on disk space requirements - so if you use a 25-30GB disk VPS and only 4-7GB gets used after Centmin Mod install it maybe ok for your usage - only you would know. On the other hand if you have 25GB disk VPS and after install it is using 16-18GB, then definitely not ok if you require more memory.

Also might want to check out these threads which will shed some light on it some more :)
    You can use these commands to find where the disk space usage is going but do not go blindly deleting data as some of it would be for system operation so you can break your server deleting incorrect data.

Code (Text):
    df -h
    du -h --max-depth=1 /
    du -h --max-depth=1 /home
    du -h --max-depth=1 /usr
    du -h --max-depth=1 /var

For Centmin Mod Nginx vhost specific i.e. where you upload your site's files for your site files etc.
    Code (Text):
    du -h --max-depth=1 /home/nginx/domains

any sensitive directory names for your site files etc can be masked by you manually as you don't want to publicly list them if possible

3. Mrbo

Mrbo Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Ratings:
    +7
    Local Time:
    1:10 AM
    Great thanks, got it regarding disk storage. Saw that extra block storage is pretty cheap on Vultr.

Regarding RAM memory, whats causing an increase in RAM memory? I thought that the RAM consumption only rises when somebody visits the site, but aparantly it increases with every website added. Is it ok to use SWAP memory, or should I upgrade? My current server is using around 2.2-2.6GB RAM. Can I go with 1GB physical memory and 2GB swap memory since the High frequence compute has much better specs?

4. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +16,079
    Local Time:
    4:10 AM
    Nginx 1.19.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Read how linux uses memory Help! Linux ate my RAM!. The memory increase is when doing YUM tasks like yum updates which requirement minimum of 1GB. Sometimes it's ok to swap if you have fast disks and limited budget. But generally optimal performance is having right amount of memory as required without swapping.