Join the community today
Register Now

Centmin Mod vs Fastpanel

Discussion in 'System Administration' started by olivergreen, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. olivergreen

olivergreen New Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    2:08 PM
    Hello!
    I want to discuss the performance of the centmin mod with the default settings.
    Recently discovered that the pages of my site are loading slowly. I chose VPS closer to me. I previously prepared the site files and databases. Launched two similar instances. In one set centmin mod, in another fastpanel. The result did not make me happy. FastPanel site loads much faster.

Sites are identical. The settings are identical. The default settings.

Why is that?

THX!

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,438
    Local Time:
    10:08 PM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    would need to know exact vps serve hardware specs, plan/web host and geolocation of both centmin mod and fastpanel servers as well as what types of page load tests you doing.

also test with webpagetest.org as well WebPerf - PageSpeed - How to use webpagetest.org for page load speed testing

if you're on a vps cloud provider, also do repeated tests with fresh new vps launched again, sometimes the vps host node you're on might be congested and more overloaded than another vps host node the other vps is on.

also double check the cpu and hardware of both vps are the same, some providers have different cpu/hardware for each vps host node so can make difference too

3. Jimmy

Jimmy Premium Member Premium Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +723
    Local Time:
    7:08 AM
    1.13.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    You should upgrade your Atom server to a dual CPU Xeon server. That'll fix everything. ;)

4. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,438
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    ??? you have info we don't ?

5. Jimmy

Jimmy Premium Member Premium Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +723
    Local Time:
    7:08 AM
    1.13.x
    MariaDB 10.1.x
    Nope, I just guessed. I assumed the OP wanted us to guess.

My next random answer is: 3 Mbps.

6. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,438
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    don't think that is the case

@olivergreen also which version of centmin mod 123.08stable or 123.09beta01 ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mask

Mask Active Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Ratings:
    +37
    Local Time:
    5:08 PM
    Nginx 1.9.1
    MariaDB 10.0.19
    This seems like and advertising post for the FastPanel :)
    I have never heard of it before but after this post, I had to google it ;)

On a serious note, if you really want to discuss performance, you do need to provide more info.

• Like Like x 1
  8. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,438
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Same. though there's many LEMP/LAMP and mixed variant offerings out there these days ! Though not many that are totally free (and without paid support levels offered) with the level of support I provide via official community forums here :)

In general I don't mind folks pointing out if one alternative web stack is personally tested to be faster than Centmin Mod as there are many factors that can go into those end results. By all means if one tests faster for your specific usage cases, then use that yourself. But be aware of how and what you test matters too. Otherwise, you'll be masking performance deficiencies that you haven't tested for that exist when you're using the web stack and probably don't know it.

But ideally I would like specifics on test environment, test configs, how it was tested. Like how I provided all that info with my benchmarks linked below.
    Clear example of how you test matters is look at results of Nginx non-https vs https tests linked above - different LEMP stack's Nginx server handled performance and scalability of non-https verus https tests differently.
    • So if you only tested non-https only in your comparisons, you're missing out on https tests.
    • If you only tested with HTTP/1.1 HTTPS testing tools, then you're missing out on HTTP/2 HTTPS testing results.
    • If you only test static files (non-PHP), then you're missing out on PHP tests.
    • If you only test cached PHP (i.e. fastcgi_cache PHP-FPM), then you're missing out on non-cached PHP performance - which is ultimately the real performance of your stack as for those 'cache misses'. Example if two LEMP stacks were tested, one had fastcgi_cache caching PHP-FPM requests and other didn't, of course fastcgi_cache PHP-FPM enabled LEMP stack would perform better for cached PHP requests. But what if you tested non-cached PHP-FPM performance and fastcgi_cache enabled LEMP stack did only 30 requests/s and the other non-fastcgi_cache LEMP stack did non-cached 100 requests/s. On cache miss under higher request load, which LEMP stack is better ?
    • If you had one stack tested with varnish cache + nginx versus another with no varnish cache and just nginx, then you missed out on testing varnish cache'd 'cache misses' performance for non-cached requests. It's common to see folks say i installed varnish cache in front of web server, why under load it's still slow - due to 'cache misses' that hit origin backend web server and that web server not performing optimally.
    I am sure with that testing/environment info, if Centmin Mod is indeed tested to be slower, with your/end user feedback I will be able to improve Centmin Mod to make it just as fast if not faster. That's the whole point of me developing Centmin Mod - to be the best LEMP stack that performs and scales optimally out of the box and have the optional features allowing it to scale and perform even further with custom tuning.

So by all means personally test all the LEMP/LAMP stacks out there yourself and see how Centmin Mod stacks up - yes pun intended :) I will never discount/ignore Centmin Mod users reports of slower performance compared to other LEMP/LAMP stacks if it's something I can improve/fix on Centmin Mod's default out of the box configurations. Centmin Mod isn't perfect, but with end user feedback/input/suggestions and reports, it can be made better :)

This of course excludes slowness due to needing to tune specifically for your web app/traffic - that would be something end users would need to deal with.

• Like Like x 2
  9. digij

digij New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Ratings:
    +9
    Local Time:
    12:08 PM
    It's great how you run this community, @eva2000

The information @olivergreen provides in the OP is by all means not extensive enough to dig into a detailed performance comparison between two LEMP stacks.

Anyways, you reply in a very professional manner; intending to help.

@olivergreen - more info needed...

• Like Like x 1
  10. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +12,438
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    cheers @digij

Yeah pretty sure 90% of the time, if you claimed the same thing with other LEMP/LAMP stacks they'd either ignore you or get pretty defensive or somewhere in between. But for me, my mind is always open to the possibility that Centmin Mod isn't the fastest out of the box for all usage cases and that other LEMP stacks may be more optimally tuned for other usage cases.

So @olivergreen, let me know if that is the case and provided more config/host and test /environment info, I will try to work towards improving Centmin Mod even further :)

11. nofun

nofun New Member

May 2, 2015
    Latvia
    Ratings:
    +5
    Local Time:
    2:08 PM
    1.9.x
    10.x
    You don't need any panel with centminmod. Just handmade hardering & optimizing. (y)

As for fastpanel, I see it as a proprietary script of fastvps company russia (which resell hetzner servers btw), which is no way a solution like centminmod. Also it is bundled with some useless software. So, personaly, I'll stay away from those panels (tried vestacp, which was compramised too many times, webmin is ok, but takes too much resourses from a micro servers and so on...)
    Good luck! :playful:

• Informative Informative x 1