Want to subscribe to topics you're interested in?
Become a Member

Can I remotely use a Linux VPS like a desktop?

Discussion in 'Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting' started by enginerev, May 23, 2018.

1. enginerev

enginerev New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    5:48 PM
    Just wondering... is it possible to get a VPS and remote control like a desktop?

And run basic apps like browser and wordpressing?

If possible, how usable is it? If you have the lowest end server like a $5 per month server... would it be painfully slow?

Thanks.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +13,706
    Local Time:
    2:48 AM
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    You can setup remote desktop like server via VNC - though speed will highly depend on geographical distance and thus network latency from VPS to your location. So you'd want VPS to be in a geographical location closer to yourself. Search for CentOS 7 + VNC on Google.

For example How to Install and Configure VNC Server in CentOS 7 just instead of using firewalld, you'd need to whitelist port 5901 via CSF Firewall's TCP_IN and TCP6_IN comma separated list of ports in /etc/csf/csf.conf and restart CSF Firewall and LFD (csf -ra) CSF Firewall - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS

I'd test a disposal test CentOS 7 server first to make sure you are familiar first.

If you don't need CentOS or familiar with other OSes and Docker, you can install Docker VNC images on CentOS server. For example I have forked Ubuntu VNC docker image at centminmod/docker-ubuntu-vnc-desktop

• Like Like x 1
  3. enginerev

enginerev New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    awesome reply. thank you.
    i'm a complete newbie to linux.
    i wouldn't have a problem learning as i'm good with all other tech.
    where would you suggest i start?
    start with CentOS?
    i don't have a need for any particular OS... so would be happy to consider something else that might make life easier.

docker: what's that? i searched youtube... but wasn't sure which docker you were referring to?

thanks.

4. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +13,706
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    Start with test VPS where you don't mind reinstall OS over and over. That way you can learn and follow online guides, make mistakes and learn and reinstall OS and try again until you figure it out :)

If you're not familar with Docker, then I suggest start with just without it and do it old fashion way with OS like CentOS and google and linked guide above

5. Meirami

Meirami Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Ratings:
    +41
    Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    That's not even close to the lowest end. You can have NAT VPS from 2$ to 5$ a year.
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +13,706
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.15.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    • Like Like x 1
  7. enginerev

enginerev New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Ratings:
    +1
    Local Time:
    guys, thanks for the replies. awesome community here :)
    i'm going to pull up my sleeves and start trying out today my first server.

OMG??? per year! wow!
    what's a NAT VPS? (i googled... but am confused)
    how is it different to a normal VPS that you pay $5 per month for?

important for me is the IP address. i need to have many servers running, each with different ip addresses. will this be an issue if i get a NAT VPS?

NAT VPS - assuming it will be almost impossible and painfully slow to run a graphical desktop remotely?

thks.

8. Meirami

Meirami Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Ratings:
    +41
    Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    With NAT VPS you'll share one IPv4 with others. I haven't tryed those so I can't say much about them. Here's a good conversation about it. What's the difference between a NAT vps and a regular OpenVZ VPS?

Of course the cheapest NAT VPS is also very low specs like 128mb mem. So there's not much you can do with it.