Get the most out of your Centmin Mod LEMP stack
Become a Member

Wordpress Any CMM users make Wordpress themes?

Discussion in 'Blogs & CMS usage' started by Jon Snow, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +116
    Local Time:
    5:36 AM
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    Do any of you make Wordpress themes?

2. Jay Chen

Jay Chen Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ratings:
    +71
    Local Time:
    4:36 AM
    I usually create my own theme for my main sites. Nothing fancy.
    I always start with Underscores, then add functionalities to it.

3. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +116
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    Would you say that's the recommended way to make your own themes or is it OK to start with the default Wordpress Team themes?

4. Jay Chen

Jay Chen Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ratings:
    +71
    Local Time:
    If you have never create a WP theme before, I recommend you start with the default WP theme. This way you learn how theme works.

My problem with default WP theme is that it has a lot of functionalities I don't need, and I don't want to spend the time to clean it up.

When you have more experience working with WP theme, then start with Underscores, it is a starter template for WP theme, very clean.

Right now I am looking at https://roots.io/, it is like a complete modern package to develop WP theme

5. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +116
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    I've always used the default wordpress themes as a base but I've been wondering if I've been doing it all wrong. I'm self-taught so I wasn't sure what other professional wordpress developers did.
    Let me know what you think about it once you start using it and if you'd recommend it over Underscores.

6. Jay Chen

Jay Chen Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ratings:
    +71
    Local Time:
    Will do, super busy with work lately, didn't get a chance to play around with it.
    I am not a professional WP theme developer. I'm self-taught too.

7. deltahf

deltahf Premium Member Premium Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +278
    Local Time:
    I also made my own theme for my site. You run into a few headaches, but fortunately, there is enough information out there about WordPress that it's fairly straightforward. I find it a lot easier to work with WordPress than XenForo, for example.

Like Jay, I also used and recommend Underscores. It's built by Automattic themselves, which I really like.

I had not heard of roots.io, but looking at their "Bedrock" theme, it makes some pretty radical changes to the file structure of WordPress:

https://roots.io/bedrock-vs-regular-wordpress-install/

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 2.20.24 PM.png

Although I do prefer Bedrock's structure, that looks like a nightmare when it comes time to maintain and troubleshoot. I don't exactly understand how it's able to do that, and I guess it's reliable, but... One thing I've learned in 20 years of web development is that the more you customize and stray from the original design/intention of any piece of software, the more likely you are to run into errors and weird edge cases down the line.

8. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    East Coast USA
    Ratings:
    +923
    Local Time:
    1.17.x
    MariaDB 10.3.x
    I get all of mine on themeforest.net. With the selection of themes and page builders, it doesn't make cost sense for me to build themes for anything unless it's super custom. There are so many themes available for WordPress it's not even funny.

Unless someone has the time and wants to learn how to build a WordPress theme, which is good, then that's totally different. In this day and age everything has become user friendly and automated and for me it's just a waste of time when I can spend $40 to $60 and get a full theme, tested for bugs, and with support if needed.

9. Jay Chen

Jay Chen Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ratings:
    +71
    Local Time:
    i got a few themes from them. For my main sites I develop my own so they don't look like rest of the WP sites running similar themes.

10. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +116
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    I bought two Wordpress themes in the past but what put me off is that I've found other people using one of the themes I used. That's why I make my own now.

11. Jay Chen

Jay Chen Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ratings:
    +71
    Local Time:
    This is the same exact reason why I ended up developing my own themes